View Full Version : Bullet proof glass

phyrelord
October 7th, 2001, 04:56 PM
I live in the states and I was wondering where i could get BP glass. Or if it could be improvised. Someone mentioned going to like a bank or something when it closed and seeing if i could find some but i don't know of that many banks that are closing. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Anthony
October 7th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Half an inch of polycarbonate should stop most hand gun rounds and shotgun loads. If you use multiple panes you should be able to stop pretty much anything.

9.5mm polycarb shot with an 8bore from 10yds:

http://www.killerhurtz.co.uk/images/shotgun.jpg

------------------
Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.

shooter3
October 8th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Be careful when you try out your bullet proof glass! I almost shot myself when shooting at 4 layers of 1/4 inch polycarb. My .380 didn't even dent it, but it did act like a springboard and the bullet, still at high velocity, landed about 3 inches to the left of my right foot!(Too close!). This abruptly ended my experiments, but previously a .223 went through the same test panel. My feelings at the time were that 2 inches would probably have captued the bullet. I was going to try 30-06, but thought that it would take more layers than I had.

------------------
The truth shall set you free!

EventHorizon
October 8th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Bet that polycarbonate won't stop a 9mm. http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/tongue.gif

Several layers of laminated safety glass may work too, but I would go with the polycarb.

The bullet proof panels I've seen, mainly in police stations, looked like it was just 1/2-5/8" tempered glass.

------------------
"Chance favors a prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
PGP ID 0x147CEF54

Anthony
October 9th, 2001, 04:40 PM
If 1/4" will stop a .380, why would a 9mm go through 1/2"?

I think if that shotgun had been pointblank then they'd be a big hole in the polycarb in the picture above.

------------------

Predator
October 9th, 2001, 04:59 PM
I think if that shotgun had been pointblank then there would be a preforated bloke laying in a casket http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif
Sure lead might not bounce off polycarbonate as well as jacketed rounds and the like, but they still bounce

Anthony
October 9th, 2001, 07:24 PM
There's the dilemma, if it goes stright through - no rebound, if it doesn't - your fucked.

Now who's going to be a brave little volunteer and find out?http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

------------------

EventHorizon
October 9th, 2001, 10:04 PM
My post was sarcasim about the thread stating a 9mm would go through a car door but a .44mag wouldn't. http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/frown.gif

A)that looks like #2 shot or #4 buck, lets see what a 8bore slug or 00 buck does at 10yds

B)lets see what a 12g 3½" mag steel T shot does, higher velocity no deformation.

C)how about a .357 loaded with 115g FMJ's with some 296 or bluedot behind it.

D)if that 9.5mm(3/8) poly stops those, I'm getting some and molding a body suit somehow http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif

------------------
PGP ID 0x147CEF54

phyrelord
October 9th, 2001, 11:18 PM
This may seem like a dumn question, but where can I find polycarbonate and is it called something more carbon. Also does leaving a space between the sheets provide better stopping power by giving it more elasticity or does it matter.

------------------
Winseln Sie für mich

shooter3
October 10th, 2001, 04:27 AM
One brand of polycab. is called LEXAN. One reason layers are better is because any cracking that develops(stress concentration)will be stopped at the boundaries between layers.

------------------
The truth shall set you free!

Machiavelli
October 10th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Just a note aside, you can't find bullet proof glass anywhere on the fucking planet! You can find glas/windows that are bullet resistant to some extent, but nothing will ever be 100%. When I was in the Army a couple of sargents talked about a visit at Heckler&Koch.
They asked the guys there whether they had a gun that could penetrate Level III bullet resistant vests. The reply was "Tell us what you want to shoot through and we can build you a weapon for it."

Apart from details like that, for anyone who wants to test the bullet resistance of some poly-sheets, maybe you should try buidling a stand for your gun where you can fire it from a safe distance behind protection by pulling a string or something like that, similar to the way they do it in the industry.

------------------
Give someone a match and he'll feel warm for a few seconds, set him on fire and he'll feel warm for the rest of his life

Predator
October 10th, 2001, 12:57 PM
I thought .223 fmj rounds went straight through Class 3 vests?
Also remotely good at penetrating inch thick polycarbonate apparently

Bitter
October 10th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Changing the subject slightly, has anyone tried to shoot through UHMWPE ? I have made this reinforced plate out of it and I don't have a gun of substantial power to test it with.

------------------
"Death should not be rushed; one should savour it like fine wine and enjoy its aroma, but if in consideration of your impatience I must kill you now, then so be it..."

Machiavelli
October 10th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Damn, that's a lot of letters to shoot through...
What exactly is that?

------------------
Give someone a match and he'll feel warm for a few seconds, set him on fire and he'll feel warm for the rest of his life

Anthony
October 10th, 2001, 06:05 PM
I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic EventHorizonhttp://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

"Polycarbonate" is the generic name for the material. Brand names include "makrolon" and "tuffak".

It goes brittle if exposed to UV light unless UV treated, acetone also seriously embrittles it.

I doubt 3/8" would stop the rounds you mentioned EventHorizon, but then I doubt 3/8" of genuine bullet resistant glass would either. I remember seeing bullet "proof" glass windscreens for cars that could stop rifle rounds (can't remember specifics as I wasn't very old at the time) and they were at least 2inches thick!

I understand that polycarb is sold in hardware stores in the US, in the UK you can get it from glaziers and plastic suppliers.

Polycarb is used to make anything transparent that needs to be "vandal proof" and also riot shields and helmet visors.

A cheap way of getting polycarb: It's used to glaze phone boxes and apparently comes out quite easilyhttp://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

------------------

Anthony
October 10th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene

------------------

EventHorizon
October 11th, 2001, 12:08 AM
IIRC, Guns and ammo did a test on penetration where they shot at 3/8" hardened steel (leaf springs). If I'm not mistaken the 220 Swift (one of my favs) penetrated the steel at a longer distance then did the .30-06 AP. The .17Rem faired quite well out to 200yds I think. The 220 Swift I beleive penetrated the steel at 300yds and the core of the .30-06 got stuck half way through.
I know for a fact that a 190grain bullet fired from a 308 will penetrate 5/16" mild steel @ 500yds but a 175grainer will not and that a 175grn will penetrate 1/4" but a 168grn will not @ 500 yds. IIRC {yet again} that I read somewhere a .50cal will penetrate 1.5" of steel at 880yds. Anyone know if this is true?

When I get a chance (and can find the materials) I'll get some 1/2" polycarbonate, sold as Lexan around here...the slum owners use 1/4" to keep stray bricks from flying through the windows, and test it from 15yds with 9mm, 40 S&W, 38, 357, 45, and 44mag. I also plan on testing that damn car door thing too, and of course with LOTS of photo's.

------------------
"Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope." George Burns
PGP ID 0x147CEF54

Mick
October 11th, 2001, 01:25 AM
if you press 2 sheet of 3/8 polycarb together with a "flim" of clear silicon inbetween i imagine that it would help it absorb alot of force(i assume that the silicon would act as an "elastic" and give the plorcarb a little bit of flex...thats theory away =D)
because ploycarb is very rigid, and has absolutly fuck all flex

tell you what, you stand behind it, and i'll shoot you. because theres BFA chance of me trusting it. =D

BoB-
October 11th, 2001, 04:12 AM
Polycabonate can burn, so its a simple matter of devising a thermite grenade that can burn through it, then you have a hole to lob in grenades or open fire into.

Phyrelord- Polycarbonate contains the known carcinogen bisphenol-A, it produces fairly toxic gas's when its burned, so it wouldnt be a good idea to use it in your home.

------------------
Teamwork is essential.
It lets you to blame someone else.

Bitter
October 11th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Event horizon, it depends on what you mean by 'steel'- there are some steels that are several times stronger than others. Usually, it's mild steel (the weakest) that's mentioned so that it makes some guns sound more powerful than they actually are.

------------------
"Death should not be rushed; one should savour it like fine wine and enjoy its aroma, but if in consideration of your impatience I must kill you now, then so be it..."

Anthony
October 11th, 2001, 04:24 PM
"ploycarb is very rigid, and has absolutly fuck all flex"

The stuff is qute flexible, it won't shatter. It's bounce is what makes it so impact resistent. It has good cold forming properties and can be rolled into curves or folded.

It is however prone to failure if impacted while highly stressed (i.e forced into a shape where it wants to spring back but is held in place).

------------------

EventHorizon
October 14th, 2001, 10:33 PM
Bitter,

In reference to the .50, I beleive they were talking about mild steel, but I'm not sure.

------------------
"Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope." George Burns
PGP ID 0x147CEF54

HMTD Factory
October 15th, 2001, 01:26 AM
There's a shooting glass (forgot the brand name or the material it's made with) on the market that can stop handgun rounds, and it's
not even thick, try some search elsewhere.

PYRO500
October 15th, 2001, 02:05 AM
As I recall Lexan or polycarbonate glass is not chemical resistant! so if they had a thin sheet of lexan than you could pour acetone on it and if you were going for the dramatic sffect throw a lit cigarrete at it and that sucker is gonna probably burn through, also I wonder what one of those cordless circular saws would do to one of these windows.

------------------
visit my web page at:
[URL=http://www.geocities.com/pyro2000us/]

Bitter
October 15th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Seeing as they make transparent machine guards out of polycarbonate, it must be fairly resistant to sharp objects- as far as plastics go, that is. But I doubt even a thick sheet will last very long against something like a circular saw.

------------------

Anthony
October 15th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Fast cutting tools like circular saws/jigsaws melts the polycarb, it's messy but it cuts/melts through pretty quick.

------------------
A person who smiles in the face of adversity... probably has a scapegoat