View Full Version : cupric nitrate

Dhzugasvili
April 2nd, 2002, 04:48 AM
cupric nitrate can be detonated i heard somewhere...and it is very easy to make and can be made in large quantities by dissolving copper metal in dilute nitric acid and then boiling solution to saturation and then evaporating and collecting alot of crystals, simple chemisty. I was just wondering the power of cupric nitrate and its other explosive properties, and oh, its quite hygroscopic. I wonder if its power is comparable to ammonium nitrate.

I dissolved a silver few coins in nitric and got blue crystals after reaction...but there are many metals in coins...right? I wonder what this could be...or it could be a combination of cupric nitrate, silver nitrate, and nickel nitrate. Wonder...what naughty things can i use these metal nitrates for...eheheh :D

vulture
April 2nd, 2002, 06:40 AM
If you've got a blue solution you've got Cu(II) ions present.
Now this says nothing about the concentration because it's a very dominant color.

And copper nitrate, Cu(NO3)2 is only explosive when mixed with phosphor, alone it's just an oxidizer.
It has several hydrates, some of them evaporate nitric acid when heated.

J
April 2nd, 2002, 09:44 AM
One method of making Cu(NO3)2 is to heat CuSO4 and KNO3 (1 : 1.25 ratio) in boiling alchohol. I have read that 30 minutes is adequate, and around 100mL of alchohol should be used per 10g of precursors.

Is 100mL per 10g the right amount? This is the only thing I can't work out, because I don't have my data book with me at the moment.

nbk2000
April 3rd, 2002, 12:59 AM
The alcohol's just a solvent to permit the reaction to happen, so I'm sure the exact ratio is unimportant.

Copper sulphate is readily available as a root killer at hardware stores in America.

I believe that the topic of copper nitrate has been discussed before, and was found to be either very feeble, or undetonatable. An archive search may help.

J
April 3rd, 2002, 06:25 AM
True, but there must be an optimal amount based on the solubility of Cu(NO3)2.