View Full Version : Liquid Carbonic

SofaKing
November 16th, 2001, 07:19 PM
What is liquid carbonic ? What is it's use in quarrys ?

It had a Oxygen warning on it, So my guess would be that it's used to make liquid oxgen for lox type explosives.

Thanks

Ctrl_C
November 17th, 2001, 07:18 PM
uh i can only think of carbonic acid when i hear that, but it doesnt actually exist.

its definately some type of oxidizer it sounds like though.

i didnt think they used LOX explosives in quarrys, just dynamite and slurry mixes

shooter3
November 17th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Liquid Carbonic is just another name for Carbon dioxide liquid under presser.

------------------
The truth shall set you free!

CyclonitePyro
November 17th, 2001, 08:07 PM
IIRC from some tv show on TRL or Discovery, they use liqiud co2 cylinders and somehow explode them as a substitute for explosives.

------------------
"Friends don't let friends play with
Nitrogen Triiodide"

CodeMason
November 17th, 2001, 10:14 PM
Yeah, a perfect example of a mechanical explosive. :) Great for mining because it is so much safer. It is merely highly compressed CO2 gas (so that it's a liquid), in a suitable charge canister. When it is to be set off, an internal heating mantle is turned on to high heat, causing the CO2 to rapidly expand, causing an explosion.

------------------
Visit my website (in development): http://codemason.cjb.net

Ctrl_C
November 17th, 2001, 11:01 PM
if i'm not mistaken, arent pressure bottle explosions only decently powerful when there is a volatile liquid or compressed gas in the cylinder? i've blown up co2 powerlets which did about jack shit. a paintball cylinder would be better but i still wouldn't be afraid to try it.

a spray paint can on the other hand with flammable aresols and volatile paint fumes, is decently powerful, at least more so compared to a co2 cylinder of comparable size.

Anthony
November 18th, 2001, 10:50 AM
The beauty of CO2 charges in mines is that because the explosion doesn't produce any heat (in fact it absorbs heat) means there's no risk of fire/explosion of dust or mine gases.

Liquid CO2 is at a much higher pressure than liquid propane or butane so the explosion is more forceful from the gas itself expanding. Although a flammable gas burning would evolve a far greater volume of (admitedly low pressure) gases than the original gas itself could produce. So given an adequate air supply it may well be more powerful.

However it'd negate the advantage of no heathttp://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

SofaKing
November 19th, 2001, 06:11 AM
CO2 huh. It wasn't a charge just a big ass tank with those words on it. Why would it have a oxygen warning ? There was some more equipment near it, coul the liquid co2 be used to refrigerate O2 ?
Could it be that they use the pressure from CO2 to cleave the rock ? The cuts are very clean bore holes only.

------------------
With Knowledge we find Truth - With Truth we find Freedom

Anthony
November 19th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Can't think why a CO2 tank would have an oxidiser warning. I'm sure a LOX tank would require more involved storage than just a tank lying around though.

"The cuts are very clean bore holes only."

They're probably drilled ready to be chargedhttp://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif