View Full Version : improvised blinding powder/grenades?

Viper4403
July 27th, 2001, 03:58 PM
I'm trying to make something that will
blind a target temporarily so I can escape.

Kinda like those old "ninja eggshell bombs".

Does anyone have suggestions?

I have :
Sulfur dust
Red Phosphorus

That's pretty much my stock right now.

Viper4403
July 27th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Ok i am going to go with a mixture of the sulfur dust and black pepper.

Still post anything you figure might work.

Donutty
July 27th, 2001, 05:44 PM
..."so i can escape"

Oh no, not another! I remember that fool we had a while back saying he was part of an elite team who were going to blow up a govornment building!

Sulphur dust? Black pepper? Wont that just make them sneeze a bit? Are you trying to blind someone 'chemically' or with pyrotechnics, as sadly, I cannot recall "those old ninja eggshell bombs".

If you want to use a pyro method, just create a 'flashbang' using magnesium.

And why not just throw some dust in their eyes....?

mongo blongo
July 27th, 2001, 06:02 PM
You could make improvised Mace! There re some methods on the net but i don't know if they work.
You could give em the old fork in the eye!

mr.evil
July 27th, 2001, 06:11 PM
why dont you make a uge terrible stinkybomb?
there is plenty of info on the forum.
SEARCH!

greetzz from:
ME!

kingspaz
July 27th, 2001, 06:13 PM
you could buy flash bangs from airsoft retailers. there're pretty cheap and are used in airsoft battles.

Viper4403
July 28th, 2001, 10:38 AM
..."so i can escape"

No, I'm not part of an elite team. LOL!

I am just interested in something that would
make someone sneeze and tear up for afew moments so I could get away. Also something to ruin the senses of a dog if I happened upon private property.

-A-
July 28th, 2001, 04:42 PM
So you want a chemical of some sort to break the law??? forget it...

SMAG 12B/E5
July 30th, 2001, 12:29 AM
For night operations, a mixture of KNO3 and magnesium filings is effective in destroying night vision. This method will cause problems for some of the earlier types of nightvision equipment. It is very likely to ignite nearby combustibles, caution!

Demolition
July 30th, 2001, 01:03 AM
I believe that KMnO4 flash would be an effective blinding powder.Just recently my friend and I lit up 10 grams unconfined on concrete.It gave a massive flash leaving us all blinded for a few seconds,what's even better is that you could confine it (paper tube) so that it would go BOOM than give a massive blinding flash.
I got that on tape so when I hook up my capture card I'll try and upload some pics,maybe a video too.

------------------

To be untouchable one must first surround himself with the strong.
Demolition

[This message has been edited by Demolition (edited July 30, 2001).]

Demolition
August 14th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Here's the picture of 10 grams of KMnO4 flash being lit unconfined.
http://www.angelfire.com/retro/mafsexplosives/Flash1.jpg
Not too bad don't you think.

------------------
Yeah,what up Detroit
Demolition

Mr Cool
August 14th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Sorry, but I don't think your picture has worked. There is a possibility that it's just my computer which won't display it, because it's a pile of shite, but all I get is an "Image hosted by Angelfire" thingy. No pretty KMnO4 flash http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/frown.gif

AR-15 Man
August 14th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Do the airsoft dealers in the US carry flashbangs? I thought the ATF classfied them as Destructive Devices.

The_Coyote
August 14th, 2001, 10:24 PM
I once read about a devise that fired a blank cartridge with a mixture of blackpowder and magnessium. It would produce a blinding flash. I believe it used to be carried around as a self defence weapon. It seems VERY improvisable. If I can find the book I will scan the picture. It consisted of a small barrel, a simple firing pin contained in a metal tube and an end cap. it was fired by pulling back the firing pin and releasing.It could be reloaded with by unscrewing the barrel and loading another shell. I know this isn't what you had in mind but i think it would be easier to do.

------------------
Gun control is being able to hit your target.

megalomania
August 15th, 2001, 01:59 AM
That sounds like this one shotgun round called "The Dragon" or some such thing. I used to get a catalog of special ammunition that had that in it, it fired a long stream of bright fire and had a loud bang. No projectile, but one hell of an effect.

------------------
For the most comprehensive and informative web site on explosives and related topics, go to Megalomania's Controversial Chem Lab at http://surf.to/megalomania

Demolition
August 15th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Does anyone one know of a good server or free web site I could upload some pictures too and which would allow them to be viewed?It's getting annoying that I can't show you guys (and girl)http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif some of the pictures I found in a bin on the way home. http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/wink.gif

------------------
Yeah,what up Detroit
Demolition

Mick
August 15th, 2001, 09:46 AM
well, i still fail to see why you can't upload those pics you found to my server

send me the pics next time i see you on MSN or ICQ

must be something screwed up with your connection settings...or your entering the address wrong...i dunno - noone else has any trouble with it

c0deblue
August 15th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Back in "the day" ('bout 30 years ago) a friend of mine decided he was gonna get the guys who always ran up on his rear bumper with their high beams and dogged him for miles. He got a package of "Super Press" high output flashbulbs, the kind they used for outdoor shots at night, (they were about the size of goose eggs) and wired four of them up in his rear window well with a strip of aluminum sheet as a reflector. I wasn't there, but he said when he fired the bulbs all he could hear was a screech of brakes as the blinded dude behind him tried to keep from driving off the road.

If you've ever had your picture taken with the old fashioned magnesium filament flashbulbs you'll know the effect - blind for about 20 seconds. His gadget was MANY times as bright and directed against eyes adjusted for night conditions. Bet the guy couldn't see right for 10 minutes or more.

You could probably make a "flashlight" to do something similar, or figure out a way to use straight magnesium flashpowder.

Demolition
August 18th, 2001, 06:38 AM
How do I link ftp files so then can be viewed?

Mick,I got it working,I had to adjust the ftp setting in Internet Options.

[This message has been edited by Demolition (edited August 18, 2001).]

J
August 18th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Perhaps you could modify a disposable camera by adding a several extra capacitors in parallel. This would probably destry the flash tube, but the flash would hopefully be a lot brighter.

I don't know if they're still available, but you used to be able to buy these little flash cubes (probably the same as the things c0deblue mentioned, only smaller) for a certain type of camera. Each cube had 4 tubes that would be snapped and give a flash. Rigging up a bunch of these to all go off at the same time would produce a lot of light.

J

------------------
Download the forum archive from my yahoo briefcase (http://uk.y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/thejuiceuk/lst?.dir=/&.src=bc&.view=l)
PGP key available here (http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/) (ID = 0x5B66A792)

BoB-
August 18th, 2001, 06:51 PM
I have an 8 d-cell flashlight, I've turned it on at night and been almost completly blinded for several seconds, it uses a normal flashlight bulb which burns up if you leave it on for too long.

1.5 x 8 = 12.

2 9-volt batterys (thats 18 volts for the people that went to public school) would be smaller, A cardboard roll could be lined with aluminum plating or foil on one end, a pushbutton momentary-on switch in the side, and the two batterys secured in the back.

I like this idea, I think I'm gonna draw some plans.

Energy84
August 19th, 2001, 12:56 AM
Haha, I had a friend who tryed being all cool with light in his car. He hooked up some regular old household light bulbs (100W)to his car stereo (1200W). Stupid guy though, turns on his stereo, cranks it up, the light blinks once, then nothing, hmm, burnt, hmm, wonder why, oh well, try another.. retard......

------------------
why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?

Anthony
August 19th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Uh, run a mains voltage bulb off the output of an audio amp - yeah right.

BoB, I doubt those little 9v batteries will give anywhere near enough current to give the effect you want.

mrloud
August 20th, 2001, 11:48 AM
What about using a laser to blind someone? Go to a good electronics supplier and you should be able to pick up a laser diode and driver kit for not too much cost. Forget about laser pointers, you want a laser with some serious output.

In my car I have a 12V spotlight/highbeam lamp on the end of a 30cm stick. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and I keep it on the passenger seat ready to grab and shine out the rear window. I can illuminate low flying clouds with this thing.

Fingerless
August 28th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Um, most of the stuff on here is quite illegal to do, you know. But no one actually does it, its strictly for information.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -A-:
So you want a chemical of some sort to break the law??? forget it...</font>

Agent Blak
August 28th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Try Milling Cayan Pepper in a coffee grinder until it is like flour. Housed in a Soft Drink can have a 10g AP Putty Charge in the center then pour in your Milled Cayan Pepper. Slightly packed fill the hole can. Sealy up with hot glue and a cardboard disc. when the AP Putty is detonated it will spread finely divided Cayan in to the air in a rust coloured cloud. Cayan is what Capsism(OC) is extracted from.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Agent Blak
August 29th, 2001, 08:59 PM
Capone;
I work as a cook and am very good at it,. Where I live they call it little Chicago(a Tourism Ploy but, it is good for the economy).
Corn starch is flamable when mixed with air. just something to be warry of. I reccomend the Cayan Pepper Idea.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

S. Toppholzer
June 8th, 2002, 09:47 AM
<a href="http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=36&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ft00&s1=grenade&OS=grenade&RS=grenade" target="_blank">US Patent N° 6,253,680</a>
a bit meaner:
US Patent N° 5,841,061 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=10&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ft00&s1='flash+powder'&OS="flash+powder"&RS="flash+p owder")

<small>[ June 08, 2002, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: S. Toppholzer ]</small>

stanfield
June 8th, 2002, 02:27 PM
For a flashbang grenade, what about a detonator in a mixture of nitrate/Magnesium ? will this work ?

see ya !

zaibatsu
June 8th, 2002, 03:03 PM
A detonator? I don't think that would detonate KNO3/Mg. If you meant some form of igniter, I don't think it would work very well, as KNO3/Mg is just a fast flare-type comp.

inferno
June 9th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Fingerless: what -A- meant by his post is that needing equipment to stun/blind or otherwise slow down a chasing opponent means he is performing a criminal act such as robbery, and needs to make a getaway.

What is discussed and dreamt about by the people here is illegal yes, but by defying the law in the way we do, we are not harming other people (unless they happen to enjoy inspecting packages taped to trees with lit fuses extending out) and is something we all enjoy doing, not something to intentionally harm someone in some way.

The government decided explosives are dangerous and made them illegal because they didnt want irresponsible people hurting themselves, but robbery is a different crime.

stanfield
June 9th, 2002, 07:13 AM
I would like to put a detonator in this mixture not to detonate it but to produce a very large flash, the blasting cap will send away the binding powder so, the flash will be increased... this is just an idea, but how military flashbang work ? these flashbang "exploded" ! so it must be a detonator or something like that...

see ya !

Anthony
June 9th, 2002, 12:43 PM
I think military/police flashbangs are just fuel-rich flash firecrackers. Or maybe a charge of flash surrounded by a metal fuel, probably Mg.

xoo1246
June 9th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Nope, the flash composition is expelled from the grenade before it's ignited, to give a blinding flash, a bang and not hurt anyone.

YTS
June 9th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Standard stun grenades are fuel rich flash as anthony suggested usually with rubber casing.I saw a program years ago where they said the filling was based on firework composition