View Full Version : strange (useful) plastic?

S. Toppholzer
May 16th, 2002, 03:44 PM
I don't know how this sort of plastic is called. It's used as for CD-boxes or for audio cassettes, for the clear sort of plastic cigarette lighters and for BIC ball pens.
Aceton softens this plastic up to a point it becomes extremely soft.
After you scoop the softened plastic out, it's sticky at the beginning and then builds some sort of skin that feels like very soft leather. The plastic takes pretty long to re-harden and usually has many very fine air bubbles in it afterwards. I guess this matter could be used for casting cases for eplosive charges (ever dreamed of a real homemade hand grenade?), for flashbangs and the like. I doubt though it could be used to mix it with AP or HMTD or any other crystalline explosive - though I'm not sure. If it was possible it would be really great since it also conatains acetone which only very slowly leaves the matter.

mongo blongo
May 16th, 2002, 09:19 PM
I think you are talking about crystalline polystyrene?

S. Toppholzer
May 17th, 2002, 08:47 AM
oh shit! I should have known - alas I didn't know that this sort of plastic is in fact polistyrene. Only knew it in two forms: small hard beads and their foamed version...

mongo blongo
May 17th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Don't take my word for it, I could be wrong. I am 90% sure it's polystyrene though.
edit-If it is then it should quite brittle.

<small>[ May 17, 2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: mongo blongo ]</small>