View Full Version : Does Mercury mess up speed radars readings?

Teck
May 18th, 2002, 12:05 AM
I have heard a few people saying that if you take like a metal tube and fill it with mercury and seal off the ends, take the tube and install it like under the hood off the car, it should mess up the readings on the radar on any cops radar. is this true. I was thinking about it and I couldnt find a logical explination how it might work. But who knows mabey its true. Does anyone know anything about this? And if its true how does mercury do that.

One more thing check out this site. They have any chemical you need, they dont list it on the site for particular resons but if you email them they have it. Fair prices, althought the AL powder is kinda expensive.

<a href="http://www.unitednuclear.com/main2.htm" target="_blank">http://www.unitednuclear.com/main2.htm</a>

Also for what purpose are they selling highly radioactive uranium ore?

alright peace

PYRO500
May 18th, 2002, 11:06 AM
It sounds like a load of crap to me, I really doubt that would do anything except make your car more of a road hazard. real radar avoidance materials employ carbon fiber radar absorbant pannels and designs so while in normal flight the RCS is less than a small bird. you are not going to radar proof your car"."

nbk2000
May 18th, 2002, 06:28 PM
There's also paints made from ferrous oxide (rust) that'll absorb the majority of RADAR energy directed at it. This wouldn't make you "invisible", but would greatly decrease the RADARs effective detection range. With a RADAR detector of your own, you could easily outrange them so you could slow down before they can clock your speed. Check the US patent site for formulations.

<small>[ May 18, 2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: nbk2000 ]</small>

Anthony
May 18th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Does it work the same if you just have a really rusty old banger? :)

Teck, there was a thread recently questioning the legitmacy of unitednuclear, you might want to check it out if you're planning on ordering from them.

vulture
May 28th, 2002, 04:47 PM
If you're in bad luck the mercury will induce a strong EMP field around your car and fry the electronics...

<small>[ May 28, 2002, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: vulture ]</small>

PYRO500
May 28th, 2002, 11:20 PM
why the fuck would mercury do that? I can assure you it will not.

tempest
May 29th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Thats complete balls if I ever heard balls about that, (along woth hairspray on the numberplates , turning off your lights etc)

radar isn't the way (British) systems work anymore , they are more cunning that that these days they use 2 digital cameras which take a snap shot of your car plates , then they have one 4 miles down the road , if you car shows up under the time required to arrive at the second camera at a legal speed limit it fires off a signal to the DVLA (UK DMV) and prints you out a ticket , of course this system isn't fully intergrated yet and it undergoing trials in the Birmingham area .This means you can't slow down on approach to cameras then step on the gas after you pass it. There was also debate about using GPS systems to track cars , for toll motorways and to monitor 'check' saftey which most likely means more tickets

Arkangel
May 29th, 2002, 10:08 AM
This is indeed the case, although since it is the driver that is penalised in the UK, just having the registration number does not mean that you are going to get convicted. You simply have to explain to them that the car was being driven by uncle Gupta who was visiting from Bangladesh, and they can't touch you. There are other alternatives for avoidance as well, but until they attach penalties to the car (as I believe is the case in Germany), and impound that, they will not be able to fully address this issue.

tempest
May 29th, 2002, 11:38 AM
That is true to some extent , but there is a way around it quiteeasily
if you get snapped on film when the ticket/ court summons appears
don't sign it don't tell the police your name , under EU laws you do not have to incriminate yourself which is where the case lies heavily
they will threaten you will all sorts of things but EU law is bigger than the laws of the countries which occupy it. There was a case where a judge crumbled to EU law and let a large number of drivers free from this.

Plates are unreliable in more than one way too theres this trend called carcloning where they get a similar car copy the plates and drive around when they get caught on camera the tickets get sent to your house