View Full Version : Kewl chemistry corner April 6, 2002

James
April 7th, 2002, 01:18 AM
This week on Kewl chemistry corner we will examine the action of ethanoic acid upon natrium hydrogen carbonate. The reaction produces Natrium acetate and unstable carbonic acid. Due to the formation and decomposition of the carbonic acid this reaction has found it's way into 'kewl' lore as a 'gas bomb'. The more valuable Natrium acetate is often completely overlook by these individuals.

<center>The Half-cells</center>
<table><tr><td>
NaHCO<sub>3</sub> + HC<sub>2</sub>H<sub>3</sub>O<sub>2</sub> -> NaC<sub>2</sub>H<sub>3</sub>O<sub>2</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Na<sup>+</sup>H<sup>+</sup>CO<sub>3</sub><sup>-2</sup> <=> Na<sup>+</sup> + H<sup>+</sup> + CO<sub>3</sub><sup>-2</sup>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;H<sup>+</sup>C<sub>2</sub>H<sub>3</sub>O<sub>2</sub><sup>-</sup> <=> H<sup>+</sup> + C<sub>2</sub>H<sub>3</sub>O<sub>2</sub><sup>-</sup>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Na<sup>+</sup> + C<sub>2</sub>H<sub>3</sub>O<sub>2</sub><sup>-</sup> <=> Na<sup>+</sup>C<sub>2</sub>H<sub>3</sub>O<sub>2</sub><sup>-</sup>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2H<sup>+</sup> + CO<sub>3</sub><sup>-2</sup> <=> H<sup>+</sup><sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub><sup>-2</sup>
</td><td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td><td>
H<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub> <=> H<sub>2</sub>O + CO<sub>2</sub>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;H<sup>+</sup><sub>2</sub>C<sup>+4</sup>O<sup>-2</sup><sub>3</sub> <=> 2H<sup>+</sup> + C<sup>+4</sup> + 3O<sup>-2</sup>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;C<sup>+4</sup> + O<sub>2</sub><sup>-2</sup> <=> C<sup>+4</sup>O<sup>-2</sup><sub>2</sub>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2H<sup>+</sup> + O<sup>-2</sup> <=> H<sup>+</sup><sub>2</sub>O<sup>-2</sup>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</td></tr></table>

One significant use of the resulting natrium acetate is in the production of highly concentrate ethanoic acid. This is the kewl chemistry corner tune in next week.

Polverone
April 7th, 2002, 01:28 AM
Hmmm, one would think that a kewl chemistry corner would be about bullshit chemistry. For bullshit chemistry fun, esp. if you have a sense of humor, knowledge of chemistry, and the ability to write, try visiting Pu239's anti-phorum at <a href="http://madsemail.netfirms.com/" target="_blank">http://madsemail.netfirms.com/</a>

On the other hand, if you just want to discuss general chemistry, this might or might not be the place. I get the impression that discussions not pertaining to explosives, incendiaries, poisons, and their precursors are generally discouraged here. I could be wrong.

Azazel
April 7th, 2002, 05:48 AM
whys that ? i come here alot of the time just to "study" some of the fun chem... can one of the moderaters please answer that... is there anything wrong with general chem discussions on the forum ??

if so maybe you guys could create a new section based on chem explaining why-so, laws of chem, etc etc... you know one of those areas all the n00bs go to sharpen their understandings... one thing i see alot of is n00bies getting flamed for asking such easy questions... hell i feel sorry for the lil guys cos they are just the younger generations trying to take after the rest of us...

but thats just my opinion :)

also i like the humor added into this topic :cool:

nbk2000
April 7th, 2002, 08:31 AM
The Forums purpose is not education in the basics of chemistry. There's already thousands of other sites on the web that will teach you that.

What the Forum IS all about is discussion of chemistry as it relates to explosives and weapons. Nothing more, nothing less.

Because the Forum is the ONLY place (that I'm aware of) where such topics are discussed publicly and with such high level discourse.

So chit-chat about general chemistry is not only NOT encouraged, but actively DISALLOWED.

We don't ban anyone for bringing up such subjects, unless they repeatedly ignore the warning. Madscientist was just such a person who ignored the warnings.

James
April 8th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Noted. Next week I'll write something a bit more appropriate.

Pu239 Stuchtiger
April 8th, 2002, 10:53 PM
James, please email me at pu239_stuchtiger@yahoo.com or private message me.

nbk2000
April 9th, 2002, 12:12 AM
Private Messaging is for staff use only. You'll have to use e-mail.

Azazel
April 9th, 2002, 06:13 AM
understood :D :D :D