View Full Version : Opening sprung latch locks - product found

J
January 13th, 2002, 07:54 AM
I've found <a href="http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/test/peltier.htm" target="_blank">this</a> interesting looking product, advertised as being able to open sprung latch locks. From the illustration, it looks quite interesting.

Does anybody have any experience with these? Is it a useful tool to have?

J

nbk2000
January 13th, 2002, 10:42 AM
It's a little sheet of spring steel or PET plastic. :rolleyes:

Any decent lock has a keeper latch on it so the bolt can't be retracted by pushing on it.

Maybe british locks are different, but I doubt it.

You can try a cut open soda can instead, or a piece of a 2 liter soda bottle.

Anthony
January 13th, 2002, 08:51 PM
These locks do have a button which locks the bolt either in the retracted or extended position, but it also stops you working the lock with the key. So you'd only use it if you were in the building at the time.

Most of the time when they're used they're just spring loaded so could be retracted with a shim. I think it'd be quite hard on a good fitting door though.

Few people use only a latch lock, they're usually supplemented with a dead bolt. I think many house insurers require dead bolts on doors.

Ctrl_C
January 13th, 2002, 11:08 PM
if an "open sprung latch lock" is a normal padlock, then i found the best way to open it if you dont mind breaking it, is to put a wood splitting or similar wedge in the shackle and hit it with a hammer. it may help to freeze the lock with electronics duster held upside down.