View Full Version : Phosphor: white --> red ?

BrAiNFeVeR
November 19th, 2001, 10:17 AM
The thing is, I needed a glass tube to make myself a cooler for an improvised distilling device. (I know it's quite a job, but I'm gonna give it a try)
Anyway, I broke the ends of a fluorescent lamp (tube) (in an open area, to release the Xenon) and then i flushed it out with water to make it clean. I allready thought about using the P inside it for something, so i made sure none of the whitisch water got away, and i left it to stand, decanted, and poured trough a filter.

So, does anyone know how to make red phosphor from the white one i got from TL-lamp ?? I was planning to use it in some friction mixes ...

------------------
"Mess with me, and you'll end up with a .44 under your chin and your brains on the ceiling"

nbk2000
November 19th, 2001, 10:51 AM
The white powder you got from the lamp is not white phosphourus. It's called "phosphor" because it glows when excite, not because it contains the element phousphorus.

If it was WP, it would have spontaneously ignited when dry.

Also, avoid exposure to fluorescent lamp contents since it contains mercury, which causes brain damage.

------------------
"I have begun evil, I shall end evil. That is the end that awaits me."

Go here (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/nbk2ooo) to download the NBK2000 files and videos.

a_bab
November 19th, 2001, 12:41 PM
The white powder contains some rare elements, and it's still good for something : you can have fun with it if you'll expose it yo some UV lamp. It's fluorescent, and it glows very cool.

------------------
Damn, I got a nitro-headache again...

http://move.to/pyromania

BrAiNFeVeR
November 20th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Does it has any uses in pyrotechics ?
Or can I extract something useful out of it ?

I would not like to hear i better throw it away, because it is toxic ...
(mmm,idea ! maybe i can poison some annoying cats with it ;-))

------------------
"Mess with me, and you'll end up with a .44 under your chin and your brains on the ceiling"