View Full Version : elite fighting force

Ctrl_C
November 20th, 2001, 06:23 PM
basically green beret skills without training as a green beret. what types of excercises would you all recommend? i find paintball is an excellent tactic building game and the sting of a paintball is enough of an incentive to not want to get hit. possibly combined with smoke effects and incendiary devices, maybe even small landmines, it would be quite a military training excercise.

live ammo training could begin once basic tactical skills have been established. maybe even shoot each other with rubber bullets? is there any kind of facial protection for those?

give me some input.

------------------
Long

Ass

Sig

PYRO500
November 20th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Rubber bullets don't exactly just bounce off of their targets, they will penetrate at medium ranges, just think pellet guns when it comes to rubber bullets, you can get paint pellets for guns though they are slow and paintball and paint pellets for guns both drop rapidly, you won't duplicate the training of a green beret without going to bootcamp.

------------------
visit my web page at:
[URL=http://www.geocities.com/pyro2000us/]

grey
November 25th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Quote: "basically green beret skills without training as a green beret. what types of exercises would you all recommend?"

OK, 200 pushups then 150 situps then 15 chinups with no break in between.
A mouthful of water and a Mars bar.
Then 32 km (= 20 miles) in 4.5 hours carrying 25 Kg + weapon (and hope to fuck its a cool rainy night !)

SF "skills" are mostly physical skills tied up in endurance and motivation, eg., counter ambush (..easy) or a deliberate ambush setup (a 15 hour wait doing SFA - ..hard).

The second "skill" aspect is teamwork. Everything happens in a team context which means teamwork and action by drill, to create speed and certainty when needed.
Exercises ? Sports teamwork will be more useful and comprehensive than paintball fucking around.

The third "skill" aspect is fieldcraft. Sound boring ? Get detected and you are 1000% dog fucked - small numbers a long way from home. Thats why you carry all the weight - its ammo !
Exercises ? Hunting. And..spend all night in your local park/scrub, cammoed up moving at 100 meters per hour, noting everything about your surroundings - human, animal, vegetable and man made, as the hours pass.

The fourth skill is info gathering and planning - the exercise in the above night out; what are the park police's / security guard's comms frequencies, faces and moves ? What are your actions if xxxxxxxx situation arises ? When are you 'in' and 'out' ? What if you are spotted at 0300 by 4 big butch blokes wearing leather cowboy pants ? What time is first light and where do you want to be then ?

So... weapons and equipment skills....the gear will be task / mission determined...so ...what do you want to do ?
A punching bag will be more use than a range target.
OK, unload, strip, clean (properly), assemble, load, remove blindfold, target, two rounds centre mass, BANGclick! = backup weapon or clear it by drill. Anyone can shoot, not everyone can stay lethal when it won't fire as the manufacturer advertised. BANG - then its ... team drill (see above..) or personal planned action (see above..) for the next step.
ie., weapons and gear are a long way down the track, not first.

What I've really described is a win win win win win win package of which battle/shooting skills are one bit.
If all you want is tac shooting skills then do a tac shooting course. Hint - if the instructor is wearing cam pants and a white T shirt or you spend more than 5% of the total time standing up not crawling around then its.......yeah..

SF skills are mainly head stuff not weapons.
The only way ? Two years Infantry then apply.

Input ? Again, what use do you want ?

[This message has been edited by grey (edited 11-25-2001).]

AR-15 Man
November 25th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Well really a lot of it has been covered. You might wanna try tatical schools like Thunder Ranch. Get some Army manuals. Learn to shoot a rifle right. Wear in your gear and make sure it works. And get into some shape. I have seen guys who have 2000 dollars rifles with 600 rounds of ammo and every other accessory in the world yet could not run a mile. Oh yea keep your gear SIMPLE!!! I can not express that enough.

Ctrl_C
November 25th, 2001, 04:06 PM
actually there is a common misconception that green beret's are in tip top physical shape. they're usefullness comes not from brawn, but brains. i've heard stories of some green berets weighing not even 140 pounds. their strength is in their intelligence. they know the languages, the cultures, and how to blend in, all over the world. they do very little actual fighting, thats what the Army Rangers are for. instead, they blend in with their surroundings and find anyone wishing to defect, train them, group them together, and let them go out and take the bullets for them.

------------------
Long

Ass

Sig

BoB-
November 25th, 2001, 04:28 PM
If you want a test of skills, go out into the woods, and kill a bat with your rifle, and without using any nightvision equipment. I've only been able to do it once, and that was probably luck.

Arkangel
December 14th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Imagine that, you're a little bat fluttering around, serenely catching mozzies when WALLOP, some bloke with a rifle comes and takes you out. It's quite an achievment BoB, but I hope you skinned and ate it. Did you shoot it or club it by the way........?

Anyway, I liked your comprehensive answer Grey, you sound like someone with a bit of experience.

Being SF is a long deal, and not something you can do by mail order. As everyone's saying it's predominantly a mental business. Like fighter pilots, who everyone assumes are super fit adonises. Many of them are lardarses yet still manage to fight $40m machines based on being generally pretty sharp, and having many years of training.

If you want to be a notional green beret for a purpose, it would be better to spend some time defining that and then coming back with specific questions. Otherwise as Grey says 2 years infantry and then go for selection.

nbk2000
December 14th, 2001, 12:26 PM
When you can walk up to within arms reach of a cop without his knowing you're there, and say "Excuse me! What time is it?", watching him jump out of his skin, then you (and he) know you could have taken him out and there wasn't a thing to stop you except your good will.

Takes practice and guts.

When you can do it more often than not, you know you can take them out whenever you want to. Does wonders for your confidence when dealing with the assholes and telling them "NO! You may NOT search my car!"

If you've got a specific mission in mind, details!

If you're looking to become a bedroom commando (stands in front of the mirror wearing all his "ninja" gear while posing in kewl positions) than that's just pathetic. Get a life.

The only way you'll ever be special forces is to enlist and BECOME special forces. Anything else is wannabe.

Or, as they say at another forum I attend, "Mall Ninja".

------------------
"I have begun evil, I shall end evil. That is the end that awaits me."

Go here (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/nbk2k) to download the NBK2000 files and videos.

A-BOMB
December 14th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Now go out in a feild at dusk in the middle of july with you paintball gun. And take with you 50 rounds and be now load up and camp out in the middle of the feild and start shooting those fireflys (and only shoot them when they are glowing) and don't shoot the ones that are too close like 6 feet and with those 50 rounds shoot atleast 47 fireflys. Its great fun when your bored out of your skull.

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb
------------------
And come to my not so done SITE HERE (http://paintball-and-stuff.freesevers.com)

BoB-
December 14th, 2001, 04:53 PM
ArkAnglel- I was only kidding, I use a pellet gun loaded with poisin filled hollowpoints, but not one of those fast acting poisins, Ricin is my favorite, the little fucker thinks hes lived to fly again another day, but then one he's flying along and then hes dead! Falls right out of the sky!

HAHAHA!

i also wear a chain of Bunny rabbits eyeballs.

Grow up.

------------------
Teamwork is essential.
It lets you blame someone else.

Arkangel
December 15th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Sorry BoB, I'm just a bit touchy on this subject. Little pet vampy fluttered off one night, a couple of months ago and never came back.....sniff http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/frown.gif

------------------
It's easier to get forgiveness than permission