View Full Version : Mixtures with aluminium & other metals - Archive File

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 07:25 PM
shady mutha
Frequent Poster
posted February 21, 2001 02:06 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The addition to an explosive of combustibles which burn with very great evolution of heat is advantageous in spite of the fact that the oxygen balance is impaired.The heat of explosion so obtained is very great and the temperature of the explosion products is very high.
The following metals have been suggested for this purpose:magnesium,aluminium,zinc and also silicon;sometimes ferro-silicon,alumino-silicon and calcium silicide are also employed.Deissler was the first(1897)to recommend aluminium as a component of explosives.He was followed by Goldschmidt,Escales,von Dahmen and Roth.In later years Kast investigated military explosives which contained aluminium.
Magnesium and zinc are readily oxidized,and are liable to undergo oxidation during the storage of mixtures containing them,hence they have not been utilized for military purposes.Apart from this,magnesium is a valuable component of varios pyrotechnic mixtures such as those used in signals or for illumination,for which it is hard to find a substitute.
Originally aluminium was employed in the form of fine powder("aluminium bronze").It appeared later that such a high degree of sub-division is unnecessary and good results may also be achieved with aluminium filings,shavings and especially flakes.The latter form is particularry advantageous as the total surface of aluminium present with a mixture slows down the rate of oxidation during storage.In explosives in which there is no surplus of oxygen,aluminium reacts initially with carbon dioxide formed as an explosion product,according to the equation:
(1) 3CO2+2AL=3CO+AL2O3+180.7 kcal
The heat effect of this reation is very great and it makes a big contribution to the general heat balance.
Originally the addition of aluminium was limited to explosives with a positive oxygen balance,i.e. mixtures containing a considerable amount of an oxygen carrier.However,during,World War 2,the Germans extended the use of aluminium by adding it to nitro compounds,for example to a mixture of TNT with hexyl.It might seem paradoxical to add aluminium to such explosives,as it would result in a large reduction of volume of the gases:

(2) 3CO+AL--->3C=AL2O3
However,under the very high pressures prevailing during detonation,the carbon monoxide decomposes in part into carbon dioxide and carbon.Aluminium reacts with carbon dioxide accoedind to eqn.(1)and with water according to eqn.(3)

(3) 3H2O+2AL-->3H2+AL2O3
This would devop a considerable heat.Thus,replacing 15% of TNT-hexyl with aluminium would increse the heat of detonation from ca.1000 kcal/kg to ca. 1400 kcal/kg
In military ammonium nitrate explosives containing aluminium even those in which the oxygen balance is negative,the main reaction is assumed to be that of oxidation of the aluminium by reation with ammonium nitrate:

2AL+NH4NO3-->Al2O3+2H2+2350 kcal/kg
The gas volume is 502 1./kg and calculated explosion temperature 5400.c.
The mixtures containing the oxidizing agent,e.g ammonium nitrate and aluminium were termed Ammonals.
Ammonals were originally intended for use in mines.In Austria for instace,ammonals with the following composition were used in gas free mines:
80-90% of ammonium nitrate
4-6% of charcoal
4-18% aluminium
Soon afterwards,however,the use of ammonals in collieries was forbibben and their utilization restricted to above ground operations,e.g. quarrying.
Ammonal was used to a certain extent in Russia and Great Britain.Its composition was as follows:
80-90% ammonium nitrate
15% of TNT
17% of aluminium
3% of charcoal
The presence of charcoal,however proved unnecessary Russian mines were loaded with ammonal made without it:
7.65% and 68% of ammonium nitrate
16.0 and 15% of TNT
7.5 and 17% of aluminium
Detonators for initiating a Schneiderite charge in Russian shells were also filled with an aluminium mixture;
65% of ammonium nitrate
15% of TNT 20% of aluminium
According to Forg even before 1914 T-Ammonal manufacured by the G.Roth factory at Felixdorf was employed for filling artillery shells in Austria.The composition of this explosive was as follows:
45% of ammonium nitrate
30% of TNT
23% of aluminium
2% of"red"charcoal
Kast gives for this substance the following figures as characteristic of its explosive power
Heat of explosion 1465 kcal/kg
Gas volume(Vo)605 1.kg
Temperature of explosion 4050.c
Specific presure(f)9900 m
Rate of detonation in an iron pipe at a density of 1.62 5650m/sec
Lead block expansion 470cm3

Machiavelli
Frequent Poster
posted February 21, 2001 03:59 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Shady, how about posting the whole book instead of just pieces?

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted February 21, 2001 07:01 AM
Keep up the good work!
Have you got anything on small scale TNT production? I saw an inefficient method that does not require oleum, but which is only suitable for small scale production due to it's economical disadvantages. It was a 3 stage reaction, using 1:3 (HNO3:H2SO4) anhydrous, to 1 part toluene. The same proportions for the nitrating mixture were used in each stage, along with the product from the stage before. I just didn't want to waste my chems. before I knew whether or not it'd work.
I know TNT isn't all that good, I'm just interested.
Thanks for all the information!

PYRO500
posted February 21, 2001 11:37 AM
to make TNT I think it is nessary to have 3 nitration steps, I dont think there is any way around that

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted February 21, 2001 11:50 AM
looks like NBK has got some compitition lol just jokin GREAT job shady!

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted February 21, 2001 03:45 PM
I don't have a problem with multi-stage nitrations, I just can't be bothered to make oleum.

Foxtrot83
Frequent Poster
posted February 21, 2001 05:33 PM
Hey I'm all for the way you explain things but i remember someone saying that giving newbies access to such information is pointless. Its like were talking in greek to them and thats not really helping. I think it was in the message about access to the forum library. If you want to give information thats great but could you atleast try to break it down into laymans terms, that will be more helpful than throwing information straight from a semi-complicated book.
------------------
~Semper Fi~
Foxtrot83

vehemt
Frequent Poster
posted February 21, 2001 07:52 PM
He is accomodating those who can appreciate such information. Just because he is doing so does not mean he has to provide information for those without the technical knowledge to appreciate it.
If someone wants to post information for the lesser informed, they can go ahead, but just because they do so does not mean they need to post the same information in a more technical format either.

Also, would like it if someone posted mix X with Y in a D to F ratio then insert detonator. Or would like to know why mixing X with Y does what it does and why mixing it in a D to F is optimal.

[This message has been edited by vehemt (edited February 21, 2001).]

shady mutha
Frequent Poster
posted February 22, 2001 03:50 PM
In Germany"Deutsche Ammonal" was used for filling large calibre shells.Various ammonals were employed to an appreciable extent for filling bombs,land mines in Italy and to a lesser extent France.
Italian ammonals
Nitramit.72% of ammonium nitrate
6% parafin
22% aluminium
Echo.62% ammonium nitrate
5.5% nitocellulose
7.5% Animal grease
22% aluminium
Belgian Sabulite
78% ammonium nitrate
8% TNT
14% calcium silicide
French.
65% ammonium nitrate
15% TNT
10% charcoal
10% calcium silicide
British
64% ammonium nitrate
15% TNT
3% charcoal
18% aluminium
German
54% ammonium nitrate
30% TNT
16% aluminium
Ammonals containing a little or no TNT detonated with difficulty and were therefore not pressed but rammed down to a relatively low density.For the same reason their use was restricted to the shells with low muzzle velocity.Shells with a high muzzle velocity were loaded by pressing with ammonals rich in TNT.Ammonals were also used when a high brisance was required e.g. for filling torpedoes

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted February 23, 2001 12:37 PM
Foxtrot83: If people can't understand the info Shady gives, they really shouldn't be making those kinds of explosives in my opinion.

frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted February 23, 2001 02:07 PM
errrm, what's the name of the book Shady?
is it in German?