View Full Version : What is the "403 error: You are denied!" all about?

Plastic_Fun
December 10th, 2002, 04:15 AM
I can't get into <a href="http://www.roguesci.org" target="_blank">www.roguesci.org</a> website from my home computer anymore. I got in once, but after that i have always seen that same red skull saying YOU ARE DENIED! It works at school. At school there is a constatnt IP i think, i have variable at home... something to do with that? Doesn't work with my friends either.

nbk2000
December 10th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Maybe you or one of your friends did something stupid like...oh, say...MAKING A FIRST POST A NEW TOPIC!

:mad:

Hence the little speech about being denied, abrogated, etc.

However, now that you've raised your head up again, I think you're going to be whack-a-moled and denied from this NEW IP you've been so kind to provide us with. :D

Have a nice day.

Plastic_Fun
December 10th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Oh, I new You would say so.. But what should i have done then?? :rolleyes:

And no I haven't done anything stupid earlier. I just visited the main page and read some of mega's recipies.. nothing else.

chemwarrior
December 10th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Plastic, dont mess with the 'Tyrant King'. I can guarntee NBK will bite your head off, chew it up, then spit it out... And I dont know about you, but that doesnt sound too pleasant to me...

Oh, and one other thing. Its not too advisable to 'talk back' to the mods and admin, they dont tend to take kindly to it...

<small>[ December 10, 2002, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: chemwarrior ]</small>

VX
December 10th, 2002, 07:38 AM
If you have a specific question that does not concern anyone but yourself, like this. It is advisable to take it up with a Mod via Email! Especially in your position where it is your first post. If you’re not already BFL then remember this.

Pu239 Stuchtiger
December 10th, 2002, 08:46 AM
NBK doesn't exactly make his email address readily available. I also can testify from past experience that emailing moderators is about as likely to get answers as yodeling into a howling winter wind.

I personally think that the rampaging IP banning is out of control and is accomplishing nothing. Congratulations, you banned Plastic_Fun's IP, now he can't use 0.001% of your alloted monthly bandwidth, and you have spat upon your own dedication to free information for everyone. I also think that the "no new thread on your first post" rule should be exercised only if the first post is just downright stupid, as in "h0w d0 3y3 m4k3 4 b0m". I know a knowledgeable character who was banned some time ago (and, understandably, never bothered to re-register) for starting a good thread on his first post. "Rules are for the guidance of the wise, and the blind obedience of the lame."

That's my take on things, at least.

Anthony
December 10th, 2002, 09:22 AM
NBK is not the only mod/admin with an email addy. Contacting Mega is a good bet if you have a problem. Yes, some emails will likely go unanswered, such as "why am I banned/please unban me!" or "why do I have to wait two weeks/I signed up two weeks ago to the second, why isn't my membership working yet???". Especially since Mega is a pretty busy guy.

To my knowledge, I have replied to every email (that wasn't palin dumb) sent to me by a forumite. Mods are capable of bringing issues to light with the other staff even if they can't sort them out themselves you know.

IP bans work. Trust me some people won't be missed (like plastic_fun :D ).

Since we don't need people telling us what we should do, and be all huggy liberal and treat everyone equally, and other assorted crap, I think it's time for this topic to end.

megalomania
December 11th, 2002, 03:47 PM
I have learned from years of experience that most initial posts are highly likely to be in bad form. I do not at no time never ever no way have a rule that says new members are not allowed to ask a question on their first post :) The rules state that first posts are discouraged, and must be well thought. Furthurmore I do not rampantly ban any IP addresses, there are many people who post crap at this board, most of the members do not see it because my staff is quite thorough at protecting you, the members, from seeing such foolishness. Out they go, but only I get to say when an IP gets banned as only I control the script the does so, and I rarely add addresses to the list.

If everyone will recall that there were once many many kewls aplenty on this board. A hoard so vast that I had to stop them. Time has taught me many ugly lessons in dealing with such people, and I think what I have today is quite effective. I have little tolerence because I know the damage even one miscreant can do if allowed to proceed unchecked. Discussion breaks down, flame wars ignite, intelligent discussion fades, members get discouraged... it's a vicious cycle.

As we progress I have eased the rules bit by bit. By far the vast majority of our new members do know exactly what to do. In case nobody noticed the number of new members have balloned 10 fold. This has required me to weed at a frantic pace because it's all I can do to stem the tide of potential kewls. What I ask for in a member is not too hard to achieve, a little basic courtesy and commen sense go a long way.

I do get quite busy answering questions, and I am always happy to answer even the ones I get over and over, but I do this as a volunteer effort, in my own time. I get nothing out of Rogue Science except the knowledge people bring. I know things aren't perfect, and could be handeled better, but I have to use what time and help I have to the fullest extent. Some toes get trod along the way sometimes, I understand that. What the rules do not say is I often give second chances to our less offending members when they ask. Not one has dissapointed me yet, often a brush with the "law" is more than enough to make a kewl a contributer.