View Full Version : The use of electric car starters as a detonator.

chemwarrior
March 2nd, 2003, 10:29 PM
This would be a somewhat easy way of making a remote controlled detonator that would be extremely reliable. Also, remote car starters are fairly cheep. The main cost when one buys one is the installation, but a simple comment such as, “Oh, I have a friend who can install it for me.”, would eliminate any possible questions. The more expensive one, such as those that can be used to around five miles or so would be useful in creating distractions as you perform the ‘job. Or, if you didn’t want to spend quite that much, you could substitute one of lesser range.

As soon as I get a chance, I will make a diagram of how it would have to be set up. Or, if someone who has a little extra time, and is willing to make a diagram and post it, I would be grateful.

Sorry if my thoughts seem a bit jumbled, but I just thought about this on the spur of the moment.

BANG_BANG
July 19th, 2003, 06:14 PM
To make a electronical blasting cap

you get some wire and cut it into 15cm lengths
get the two ends and get some Nichrome wire thinner the better, you can get this wire at your. local electronics store, If you can't fing it just use the tungsten out of a light bulb, cut a 4cm length of it connect one end to one end of one of the wire and then wrap it around the end of the two wires, then connect it other end of the nichrome to the end of the other wire now get some 10mm aluminium tube and cut a 4cm length. beat down one end of it.
Now fill the aluminium half fill with your chosen base charge then the rest up with your primary.
insert the wire into the tube and use builders bog to fill the top of some other thing like that maybe knead it would be the best.

if you want pics sorry i don't have much but ill see if i can get some

zeocrash
July 19th, 2003, 07:38 PM
yeah yeah we all know how to make a blasting cap,
what chem warrior is trying to suggest is adapting an automatic car starter into a remote control for detonating a explosive device from long distance.
there are 2 advantages of using an automatic car starter over another remote control, these are the size and the lack of interferance.
automatic car starter remotes are very small, no one wants to lug around a set of carkeys the size of a laptop. this means that your remote control can also easily be concealed about your person.
automatic car starters are also insensitive to interferance, no one wants a car that starts and cuts out, whenever some one gets a phone call.

kingspaz
July 19th, 2003, 07:44 PM
BANG_BANG, enough of the post whoring. this has bugger all to do with the discussion of makeing electric blasting caps. due to you post being in the wrong section its not just useless but utterly useless. now read around and learn to post something we may not know...and in the CORRECT topic of course.

nbk2000
July 20th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Death for BANG_BANG for the crime of raping the english language. If you can't put together a coherent sentence, there's no future for you here. :p

(I got this weird sense of deja vu all of a sudden ;))

yt2095
July 20th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Chemwarrior,

i don`t know what you pay for these car starter kits, but a device i`ve used to great success costs simple pocket money and is trigereable at ANY distance.

(now i`m hoping that`s there`s noone on here that thinks i`m a terrorist `cause i aint! i`m just an experimenteer into pyro and special effects, i deplore these ragheads and teeny-bombers)

buy yourself a pager, the vibrating sort (probably cost you about Ł15-20 ($20-30)

open it and cut the wires to the motor with the eccentic on it (the vibrating bit) extend these and use as the low voltage high current (high enough for a 1.5v mini bulb to light) supply.
the rest you already know.
advice: don`t buy one second hand, make sure no1 has the number, and use it in receive mode for a few day to note when or if you get "news/sports alerts on it and what time you get them. connect the detonator wire last before you leave.

the beauty is that you can use your mobile fone at the other side of a feild, make a call and *BOOM* :)

it`s just an idea, and may prove a bit cheaper than your car remote :)

all the best!

Edit: and also because of it`s heavy filtering and EDSN false triggering is as equaly unlikely as you car kit :)

nbk2000
July 20th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Modified pager detonators are old hat.

The problem with a pager is that anyone could accidently dial the number at any time. A coded remote is much less likely to have that problem.

Also, if you're not able to retrieve the pager before piggies arrive (if they're called), then you'd be in a shit pickle, because they can trace back the unit to the pager company, which then tells them exactly when the page was sent and what number it was. This information then goes to the Telco, who can tell them what number made the call, and who owns it, and that's your ass right there. :)

Besides, is a range of several miles inadequate? ;)

grendel23
July 21st, 2003, 03:15 AM
Getting a remote car starter to work may be a bit more interesting than it appears at first, they are microprocessor controlled and look for certain inputs to be correct before they will start the car.
A more economical and easier possibility would be a garage door opener. These receivers: http://www.stanley-garage-opener.com/stangardooro17.html are on sale for $10, have 10 bit encoding to make unintended operation less likely, and run on 24 volts, 3 9-volt batteries.
One downside would be a short range, a longer antenna on the receiver and transmitter would help.
Another consideration would be the receiver’s behavior at power up; it may pulse the output when power is applied, I would put in a safety switch and an LED to visually confirm status of output before going hot.
A reasonably safe remote controller with a cost on the receiving end of under $15 could be useful.:D

static_firefly
July 21st, 2003, 03:58 AM
Iv often wondered why terrorist dont use remote controled devices inside buildings so if the cops raid the building, someone on the out side, maybe watching the live news could make the call to the mobile and detonate the charge. Like a failsafe even if the cops raid the building and take out all the targets the device will be detonated anyway. Anyway with the car starter, does there need to be a clear line of sight? Such a device would also then need to be placed out in the open.

Tuatara
July 21st, 2003, 06:19 AM
You don't need LOS, but you will lose range . You're only going to get 100-150m anyway.

@Grendel23: Bigger is not necessarily better with antennas. This might have been true in the old days, listening to AM on the 1MHz band (wavelength ~ 10km !). Most of these remotes run UHF on 304MHz or 433MHz. A 1/4 wave antenna for 304MHz should be close to 24.6 cm long. Add a couple of cm and it becomes a 280MHz antenna - useless for 304MHz.

Anthony
July 21st, 2003, 03:42 PM
Some of you guys might want to check out this thread if you haven't already read it: http://roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1737

Efraim_barkbit
July 21st, 2003, 06:52 PM
About the pager system:

if this system was to be used, you could buy a new sim card for your cell phone, the type wich you don´t have to subscription on, just buy special receipt with a code. then it is no way the number can be connected to your person.

but the risk of people dialing the wrong number will of course always be there.

Macgyver
July 25th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Efraim_barkbit
About the pager system:

if this system was to be used, you could buy a new sim card for your cell phone, the type wich you don´t have to subscription on, just buy special receipt with a code. then it is no way the number can be connected to your person.

but the risk of people dialing the wrong number will of course always be there.

One more thing. If you use your own mobile phone, they can also cross reference the phones IMEI code and see which SIM cards have been used in that phone, and BAM, busted again.....

You need both a phone and sim that will never be used again to be 100% safe.... Trust me, I've worked with telecom stuff....

yt2095
July 25th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Quite true, IMEI or ESN (Electronic Serial Nubmer) is broadcast from all fones, perhaps a stolen one, or a legal one bought under a different name either second hand or from a shop (shops may have vidi cams though?)

when I originaly wrote the post I was thinking along the lines of having the pager in intimate contact with the device, negating much of the possibilty of tracing it. I personaly used to use my mobile and a pager for rocket launches and mini feild tests because it looked kind of neat to speed dial a number, say a few words, wait a few secs and Whoosh or *Boom*.
yeah ok, it`s kinda kewlish I admit, but it looked good :)
originaly I was thinking along the lines of a payfone from anywhere in the world, I can`t be 100% certain but I may have either seen it in a movie or on the news, and if it wasn`t a pager, I remember thinking that a pager would be better. AHA I remember now, it was about 8 months ago on the news, somewhere in the middle east where they used mobile fones in car bombs! that was it!
anyway, as NBK has already stated there`s still a risk of that "sorry, wrong number" BOOM!

probably not such a good idea then :)

knowledgehungry
July 25th, 2003, 11:40 AM
I like the idea of a pager for more evil uses. Set the device at your local police station, city hall, federal building,IRS headquarters, abortion clinic, or whatever you have a grudge against, take a trip to Mexico make a phone call and your safe. If you really want to be 100% safe go to Libya or North Korea as was mentioned in a different thread.

yt2095
July 25th, 2003, 11:56 AM
a Mosque or Black Power meeting, a local gay club (if you wanna be seen in such a hive of debauchery) :D

knowledgehungry
July 25th, 2003, 12:01 PM
I would have said that, but its easier to let them kill each other. And actually the black power people are not half as bad as the thugs, at least they are somewhat educated, of course i hate the fact that the pretend to have something to be proud of, when all they did was let themselves be enslaved by the white man. Mosques is a great idea, give em a taste of their own medicine, it would be even better if you made it appear as an accident that occured while those dirty ragheads were planning their next act of terror, thus increasing anti-muslim sentiment rather than increasing symapthy for the poor oppressed minority.

yt2095
July 25th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Chermwarrior,

Re: your 1`st post... it would also (like a pager be back trachable) in the code ROM.
how about setting up a simple repeater :D

buy 2 of `em! one left localy at your blast site (within 5 kliks) and a triger setup (within 5 kliks of that) forget the fact that you could double your effective distance, that`s just gravy :)
think of it being ENTIRELY untracable! :D that`s just Excellent! :)

a bit like the repeaters in HAM radio, sure they MAY get the detonator and Maybe the trigger sender. but NOT the repeater or you!
perhaps even being 1 Km from the site when you trigger to your repeater mirror 5Km away would be too incredible and unpredictable (seemingly stupid enough) to be overlooked.

just a thought (forgive spelling, I`m in a rush)

FireBomb
July 26th, 2003, 12:54 AM
OK well I dont know if this helps but I just though of it and checked it out at my local wal-mart gona check some other places for it too. ANyway while at wal-mart I saw some wireless doorbell chimes and our of curiosity i looked at the boxes for them. One that perticularly cought my attention was the most expensive one they had for $29.99 US. It has a 130' range but what realyl cought my eye was that it has a total of 130 programable channels to preven cross interferience from other units.

Anyway I know you can slightly increese the range of one of these somewhat but my question is how much could you amplify the range and also would it still have to be LOS or what. I have very very little knowlege of electronics so I'm asking you guys as several of you have extensive knowlege in this field.

Tuatara
July 26th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Hmmm, 1:130 odds of unexpected detonation - I wish lottery tickets came with odds like that:D

Very little electronics experience eh? Well then you'd be much better off simply going and buying something else that had the range you want. Save yourself a lot of time, frustration, cash, and soldering iron burns. Even those of us with the knowledge will often take that route.

zeocrash
July 26th, 2003, 07:52 PM
the only use i have seen for remote car starters is for people who want to avoid being killed by car bombs, how ironic ;)

nbk2000
July 27th, 2003, 06:39 AM
A properly made car bomb isn't going to explode simply because someone turns on the ignition. It'll wait till the vehicle is at speed and making a turn, THEN explode, resulting in fiery crash at high speed. :) Much less survivable that way. :D