View Full Version : Micro-Balloons - Archive Thread

Anthony
March 5th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Morrigan
Frequent Poster
posted February 01, 2001 01:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got the next piece of text about so called Micro-balloons from the site of a commercial blasting company. Those micro-balloons are added to AN-prills used for commercial ANFO:
---------------------------------------------
The compression pulse generated during detonation compresses the air bubbles in the explosive, resulting in extremely high temperatures or "hot-spots". These "hot-spots" would appear to sustain and enhance the detonation propagation.
More ideal detonation behavior, hence higher detonation energy and higher brisance Detonation velocity slightly higher and more constant through hole charge length. Increased small diameter sensitivity. Accelerated build-up to stable detonation velocity. More complete reaction with less after burning and fumes.
---------------------------------------------
(*The effects mentioned above are caused by
micro-balloons that all have the same size and are evenly imbedded in the AN prills)

The fact that simple micro-balloons also seem to increase sensitivity at higher loading densities interested me. There’s only one problem, what kind of Micro-balloons should an amateur blaster add to his ANFO to achieve better results? Plastic ones tend to dissolve in the fuel while most clay based Micro-Balloons suck up fuel like a sponge. I guess that some kind of microscopic glass sphere’s would do the trick but where do you get those from? Are there any alternatives?

10fingers
Frequent Poster
posted February 01, 2001 05:45 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some hobby stores sell glass microballoons. You can also get them from Iowa Pyro Supply for about $5.00 a quart, they're used in pyrotechnic displays as a flash enhancer. In kitchen improvised plastic explosives it says that you can use finely powdered styrofoam for the same effect.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted February 03, 2001 12:14 PM
How big are the microballons?

10fingers
Frequent Poster
posted February 03, 2001 08:04 PM
I have never seen the dimensions but I would guess about 1/10th of a millimeter in diameter.