View Full Version : Shaped Charge Detonation - Archive file

zaibatsu
March 15th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 09:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How would you go about, say, placing a shaped charge on a missile so that it detonated on impact ? I can't see how this is done, as there doesn't seem to be a practical way of setting off the detonator without messing up the shape of the explosive charge in the process. This is supposedly used on a hellfire AT missile, but it looks awfully complicated...

Anthony
posted January 20, 2001 09:36 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you have a firing pin the went through the explosive charge and sat against a percussion cap, the pin would protrude far enough so that it smacked the primer when the charge was the optimum distance from the target.

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 10:57 AM
Could do I suppose, but I have no idea if that intervening pin would comprimise the effectiveness of the charge.

Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 01:14 PM
I dont know much about this field but could you attach a BB to a percussion cap and have a thin layer of ap putty about the cone of the shaped charge? Like I said I dont know much about shaped explosives.

Anthony
posted January 20, 2001 01:20 PM
It shouldn't do, the jet would obliterate the pin before it reached the surface if the target. One problem may be to make sure the charge hit the target dead square...

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 01:21 PM
AP Putty would work Way better; For it seems to detonate buy increasing the density(from my experience it doesn't even need confinement). It is also A little more friction sensitive.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"... As He Waits For The Time When The Last Become First And,
The First Shall Become last"
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 01:58 PM
The thing with the pin is the way I do it all the time. I should just make it clear that my devices are very small, so it's practical to us a needle. The sharp point on the needle also makes it less likely that the charge will be deflected as it digs into the paint or any other surface coating.
About the military systems: Even in small 66mm LAW systems, there is something called a piezo-electric element in the nose of the weapon. It is a crystal that has the property that it generates a voltage when squeezed ( piezo means press or squeeze ).
this crystal is connected to a detonator in the rear end of the charge.
I have seen pictures in military textbooks where shaped-charges for tank-guns were initiated with a pipe with an explosive filler employed as you would the pin.
I don't reccomend doing it this way though;
I think you would have to take special precautions to prevent the charge from detonating in the wrong direction.

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 06:24 PM
Thanks everyone.

I am aware of all that sophisticated piezo technology, but I doubt there's any hope of getting hold of that.

I think it would be safer to just use a precussion type-detonator using a pin or BB. I don't trust AP too much and it would be wise to put as little sensitive material on these things as possible...
What would happen if you accidently dropped it ?

Perhaps putting the pin right up against a relatively short stand-off cone would lessen the chances of a missile 'sliding off' the target and failing to detonate.

Cyclonite
May 3rd, 2003, 07:30 PM
Theres 3 ways HEAT (High Explosve Anti Tank) rounds are detonated, PE Crystals, rear fuzed impact inertia fuze and the least used is front fuzed with a explosive liner on the innerwall of the projectile leading to the booster in the rear initiating the shape charge. Also theres the Miznay Shardin effect typically used in mine systems, not a true shape charge but very effective to say the least. Its more of a curved platter thats deformed into a jet shape penetrator when the HE gos. Its effective distance puts the monroe effect to shame. :D

Also Pizeo Electric is not anymore advanced than the electric lighters you carry in your pocket. Its just a quartz crystal. You would just need one large enough to generate the current needed to set off the primer in the rear. AP would make for a horrible shape charge, you need an explosive with a high VOD. AT4s for example use Octol