View Full Version : Detonation test - Archive file

zaibatsu
March 15th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted January 10, 2001 05:43 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have 30gm RDX you wana detonate it or the same ammount of PA.
Does it need to be confined?
How many grams of Mercury Fulminate should you use to detonate it?

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted January 11, 2001 05:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes!Otherwise you will get an uncomplete det. and a lot of your product will be spilled arround!

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o )"

Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted January 11, 2001 06:34 AM
PHILOU Zrealone my friend...long time no see :-) happy new year man....

How many grams of mercury fulminate you need for detonate 30g of PA or the RDX?

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted January 11, 2001 08:22 AM
Happy New year too Detonator!
2g should be more than sufficient for such sensitive explosives; but the detonator must be inside a metalic tube. And the HE also in a larger one or the same diameter! Don't forget to isolate the PA from the metalic container and detonator...it is a good way to do it every time.
Separate also the PA from the fulminate...mercury and PA forms a sensitive salt and an unstable free acid.

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o )"

Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted January 12, 2001 08:40 AM
PHILOU The M112 Blcok Demolition Charge is not confined !! and they use a detonator to detonate it....does it mean if you put about (as the M112) 1.25 pound of RDX packed in cardboard or tin (anything as a container) and used a detonator with 2g of MF it should detonate easilly???
The same question for Picric acid

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 12, 2001 04:40 PM
I have found that with explosives that are not too insensitive, such as RDX, that a container is only really neccessary to keep the explosive in place until the detonator is fired. This is because the shock wave travels through the explosive so fast that the grains of explosive do not have time to get blown away before they are detonated. In a 10 cm wide piece of explosive, it takes the shockwave maybe 1/75000 of a second to travel through the it, based on a medium/high detonation velocity. Since the explosive grains cannot accelerate immediately, they get only a miniscule distance during this time, and are still detonated. Also, they only begin to move once the shock wave has hit them.
However, if you're going to have NO confinement, I suggest plasticising your explosive and using a #10 or more detonator.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted January 17, 2001 11:17 AM
Pure RDX should pose no problems except it to be like suggar...you have to plasticise it with let say nitrocellulose (active binder) and nitromethane (or acetone).
The plastic cake must be confined a little if a low speed detonator is used; if a high speed detonator is used then no problem at all.

Mendeleev
November 7th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Can anyone tell me which detonating compounds would be considered high velocity and low velocity? Some that I would like to know in particular are mercury fulminate, lead azide, and acetone peroxide. Any others would also be appreciated. Furthermore which of these can be detonated with electricity, such as that from a car battery?

Thanks.

knowledgehungry
November 7th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Thay are all low velocity, there may be some higher velocity primaries out there. I think HMTD can be initiated via electric current.

xyz
November 7th, 2003, 10:47 PM
All primaries can be initiated by an electric ignitor if tha'ts what you mean, UTFSE.

Mendeleev
November 7th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys, also I wanted to know if mercury fulminate or acetone peroxide would be sufficient to detonate the following explosives: RDX, HMX, PETN, TNT, and ammonium nitrate. Furthermore can nitroglycerin be used as an initiator due to its sensitivity?

Cyclonite
November 8th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Well in blasting caps mercury f. and lead azide are used to detonate RDX. AP is shit compared to all the previous mentioned explosives but can be used to initiate mercury f. and lead azide not RDX. In the above posts the good ol M112 is mentioned, its just primed with a cap or some detcord to make it detonate. Electric currents will not detonate any primary unless its converted to heat with some nichrome or something. Current will detonate AP, I do know that for sure. NG is not a primary but makes for a great explosive to sensitize say....AN. NG can be set off with AP and with NG you can set off most everything.

Mendeleev
November 8th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Cyclonite, you said acetone peroxide was shit compared to the other explosives, but mega's site lists its detonation velocity at 5300 m/s vs 4000 m/s for mercury fulminate. So why is is worse then mercury fulminate :confused:? Does mercury fulminate burn hotter or something? You said that the military uses mercury fulminate to detonate RDX, since TNT and PETN have higher sensitivities than RDX, is it ok to assume mercury fulminate will detonate them as well? What about HMX, which is less sensitive than RDX?

Nevermore
November 8th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Ap can reach such vod only if compressed, and that is not really healty..
using it lightly tapped or a little compressed shows much slower vod.

ALENGOSVIG1
November 8th, 2003, 02:35 PM
I've never heard of AP detonating while being pressed.

Mendeleev
November 8th, 2003, 04:21 PM
I have never heard of compressing AP either. Is there any safe or easy way to compress AP or do I pretty much have to stick to using mercury fulminate. Could I use picric acid for detonation?

Edit: I found this in one of mega's posts:

Foxtrot83
Frequent Poster
posted 03-06-2001 02:33 PM
This is just a dream...
Reading that New and Improved C4 file by Ragner Benson got me dreaming about something i used to do a long time ago, I'm sure most of us did this at one point. Rolling up AP or some other primary explosive in aluminum foil and putting it on the stove. The power of that little ball was incredible, I remember doing that once with less than a half a gram of AP and putting it in a steel dutch pot w/ the lid on. After heating on the stove for about 2 mins. the thing went off with an incredible boom scaring the shit out of me. When i examined what happened the pilot blew out and there was a hole 6x the size of the ball in the bottom of pot. There was a dent about 4 inches deep in the crest of the stove and the top of the pot vapourized. I mean literally i couldn't find the top of that steel pot for shit and then it hit me what happened. When i looked up above the stove there was a hole about 16 inches long by 3 inches wide in the ceiling. I looked up there for the pot cover and it wasn't there, looks like i created sometype of Platter charge without knowing it (at the time anyway, i was around 13). My mom got scared and called the cops on me, showed them the pot and the ceiling. They asked me what i made, and i told them some bullshit story about matchheads, beeswax, sugar and some other junk. Dumbass cops believed me wrote something down and said not to do it again. If they only knew, but anyway back to the original reason i decided to write this post. What i thought about was if i could harness the power of those tight balls and incorporate them into a detonator. Here's the detonator i'm thinking about, roll up a ball of aluminum foil with say one gram of AP (make it a tight ball by squeezing it real hard, it shouldn't go off cause i've done that several times in the past). Now that you have the ball get your aluminum tubing or pipe (make sure the ball is small enough to fit in it), pour in a small amount of a mixture that burns hot (ex. kno3 and sugar, chlorate mix, etc...), then put in the ball and then cover the ball with more mixture.

Heres a simple diagram:

-- []
-- []
///[]///
//***//
//***//
//*O*//
//***//
//***//
////////

[] - fuse
/ - tubing
* - mixture that burns hot
O - aluminum foil ball with primary

The rest of the idea should be easily figured out. If the container is small enough and the ball tight enough you should get an incredibly powerful detonator.

Let me know if you think this dream would work...

Guerilla
November 8th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Mendeleev, I dont want to bitch about little things but please stop asking common things in which you can get answers by a single search.. Cyclonite, do you know what sort of electric currents are needed to set AP off? I've always thought AP was non-conductive..

Cyclonite
November 9th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Well I havent done any extensive testing but I use a 600,000 volt stun gun, as long as the gap is very small and the AP is loose the spark puts out enough to detonate AP.

Anthony
November 9th, 2003, 09:02 AM
I found the same thing with a 100kV stungun. I'm surprised that it doesn't work similarly for other primaries though.

Whatever primary you use should really be pressed, it has many advanatages, and if industry does it, there's usually a good reason.

VoD is not everything in initiating power. For example, the decomposition products of MF are quite heavy which seems to make it a better initiator.

Pressing AP and caps has definitely been discussed before, UTFSE!

Desmikes
November 9th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Mendeleev, I do agree that detonation of AP seems to be quite a bit more powerful when confined in aluminum foil and heated, but your idea as far as detonators go, may not be all that great. Instead of going through the trouble of doing all that to get more out of AP, why not just fill up that same container with straight AP? It can probably be used for production of gasoline fireballs though.
I think I've posted something similar in the past, but indeed, in its "natural" form AP is too hard to egnite/detonate via spark to to be useful, however if you crush it down to tiny particles (the use of ballmills and coffe grinders is not recomended ;) ). Even if you take a tiny amount and crush it between your fingernails, it can easily be egnited with a spark from standard electric lighters.