View Full Version : The different shapes of HE! - Archive file

zaibatsu
March 15th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted January 15, 2001 02:38 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a cylinder 3.5" length, 1" diameter
closed from both sides...the metal is coverd with some kinda plastic material cause of PA.

20g PA, at the top of it 2g Mercury Fulminate
with cardboard to sperate between them...

When detonated the cylinder didn't explode but the 2 sides (the upper and lower parts) of the cylinder have been cutted with a big boom, knowing that the 2 plugs are about 3 milimeter width of cupper.

I think that the shockwave moved in away that didn't affect the the cylinder it self it went straight to the cap (plug)...

I think that if the MF was in the middle of the HE it would have trim the cylinder ?

as it was for another experment with RDX (about 10g) shorter cylinder and MF was in the HE, nothing left of the cylinder.

Any ideas and explainations, i need to know different effects that can be caused with different shapes?

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 15, 2001 01:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you sure the PA detonated?

Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted January 16, 2001 02:11 AM
I guess it did detonate becuase nothing left but some of the yellow PA was left outside the cylinder and some stuck inside...

Any ideas?

Anthony
posted January 16, 2001 08:02 AM
Surely if there was PA left, then it didn't detonate?

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 16, 2001 12:05 PM
I'm fairly sure that most of the PA didn't detonate, because I can't see how the pipe could have stood up to 20g's of it detonating. It must have just been dispersed into the air by the blast of the MF. (Congratulations! You've just made a chemical weapon! PA is very toxic, as you probably are aware)
I have no idea why it might not have detonated, though. 2 grams of MF should have been enough. Try five and see what happens.

Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted January 18, 2001 03:22 AM
5g is way too much...
I think that the length of the cylinder and the position of the detonator is somehow wrong,
By the way i don't think that alot of the PA went in the air...
I will make another experment and i will let you know.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 18, 2001 02:43 PM
Your right, 5 grams is too much... But it'd practically guarantee detonation.
If you do another experiment, it would be helpful if you could post some photographs of what happened if you have the stuff to do that with.
BTW, what is the wall thickness of the pipe you're using?

Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 02:18 AM
it's about 2.5-3mm of cupper...
can i add vasline to PA???