View Full Version : fragmention bomb

anarkisten_83
September 11th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Could someone give me a tips of wich explosive that has the highest VOD? Something thats used in grenades, and missiles,and whats best for fragments?
I was thinking RDX?

cutefix
September 12th, 2001, 01:55 AM
High VOD explosives are not important for fragmentation purposes,yes,it is capable of producing maximum fragmentation,but the shrapnel formed is not effective for antipersonnel weapon like a grenade(fragments will be to small).You will notice in some grenade(pineapple type) that it has corrugated surface in order to enhance formation of suitably sized fragments.In that example any suitable explosive like flake TNT,nitrostarch or even potassium chlorate based explosive could be applied in that weapon.Smoother grenades uses a faster detonating explosive(RDX/TNT mixture).

Pure RDX is to fast for grenade application.

Missiles(military type) uses different explosives according to application.Antitank missiles use highest VOD explosives for better armor penetration.Antiaircraft missiles uses slightly lower VOD for good blast effect and fragmentation.Many of missile warheads contains RDX also.

Regarding your question about highest VOD,currently the only practical and well used fast explosive is HMX and it is widely used in missile warheads in various formulations(i.e.,containing metals,halogenated plastics ,explosive binder or in admixture with other explosives like TNT).Although there are newer faster explosives(like HNIW),but its not widely used now...

I would suggest that you do more reading in these materials.The Forum has good archive about this subject .Megalomania files also..Search the web for additonal information that will satisfy your quest for explosive knowledge…