View Full Version : Chloropicrine / trichloronitromethane. -Archive File

megalomania
September 29th, 2002, 06:45 PM
PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted January 19, 2001 05:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does someone have info's about chloropicrine or trichloronitromethane - CCl3-NO2.
I know it to be an explosive...
If I compare it to nitromethane...
CH3-NO2:
-density:
-boiling point:
101.2C
-flash point:
35C
CCl3-NO2:
-density:
-boiling point:
112C
-flash point:
none

If my thoughts are right, it must be a more powerful explosive than NM... because it has a higher density and a perfect oxygen balance (but it releases chlorine gas).
CCl3-NO2-->CO2 +1/2 N2 + 3/2Cl2.
Thus, could someone provide me explosives datas on it like VOD, brisance, lead block test,... or any comparative power to any other explosive...thanks.

If this hypothesis is confirmed by those datas, then bromopicrin would be even more powerful! For iodopicrin I don't know because it may not exists or be very unstable.

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o )"

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted January 19, 2001 06:27 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Philou, i have a doc about nerve gases and chemical-weapons. It's said there that gaseous Chloropikrin is non explosive and non flammable, it does not react with metals even if moisture ist present.
Pure Chloropikrin is a colorless liquid, melting point -69,2 degree c. boiling point 113 deg. c - 1,66g/cm3
Soluble in orgnic solvents, nearly unsoluble in H2O. It turns the "hämoglobin" into "methämoglobin"...
It has strong oxidizing characteristics and was developed 1848 by the english chemist Stenhouse with Picric acid and calciumhypochlorite.
A concentration of about 2g per m3 will be deadly in less than 1 minute, although due to its effects one will fast realise that something is wrong and run away. Thts why its mixed with other chemicals to increase effectivness.
In WWI it was used in masses by the russians, british and later germans.
Absolute *deadly* shit, in WWI the gas maskes were penetrated by Chloropikrin, forcing the soldiers to take them off, resulting in breathing more and more nervegas...
In grenades it was mixed with 20% tin(?)tetrachloride or "Sulfurylchlorid" or 65% "Perstoff".
I was called "vomiting gas" (english), "Aquinite" (french) or "Klopp" (german)
I think handling this stuff really isn't worth it...
sorry for possible poor english

[This message has been edited by wantsomfet (edited January 19, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 07:42 AM
Sounds like fun...
Have you tried, or do you have any information about, dinitrochlorobenzene? I could make it very easily, but I've heard it doesn't detonate completely and when it does it forms phosgene and the undetonated compound acts like tear gas. If you now of any ways to reduce or eliminate these problems, please let me know.

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted January 25, 2001 09:41 AM
Sorry no relible info on dinitrochlorobenzene...