View Full Version : lightswitch electrical detonation - Archive file

zaibatsu
March 15th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Foodos
Frequent Poster
posted January 17, 2001 01:13 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im trying to rig up a lightswitch to a 6v lantern battery. Its a "3-way Switch", it has 4 different screws, one Red that says: 'com' (common),a green GROUNDING screw, and two silver ones, labeled nothing, at the top of the switch. I just noticed the package says: Three way for 2-switch circuits.

I connected two copper wires to the green, and red screws to the negative and positive springs of the battery. then two different copper wires two the silver screws, two some steel wool, I flipped the switch and it flared (lit up) the steel wool, I tried it a second time and it doesnt work. I couldnt remmember which screw I connected to which pole (negative, positive) on the battery, but Ive tried every combination between that setup and it doesnt work anymore.

I have no electrical experience like this, is this the right switch to do this? Did I blow out the circuit by crossing the poles differently?

What type of light switch should I use to do this.

Jumala
Frequent Poster
posted January 17, 2001 08:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard to say what to do without having your switch in the hands. The polarity doesn´t matter for switches, lamps or igniters (only important for electronic parts)
Make a connection from battery to com, from one of the silver screws to the igniter, from the igniter back to the other battery pole. This should work.
Otherwise go to a electronic shop and buy a press button switch with only two contacts.

Test also 1-2 Ohm resistors for ignition (the smallest type max. 1/4W)
Resistors are more calculable then wire, they have higher efficiency and they are more useable in manufacturing.

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted January 17, 2001 08:56 PM
It is hard to say without seeing it but I'm wondering if the silver screws are for mounting. It also seems odd that you have a switch that is for two lines, typically a light swith only closes or opens a circuits on one line, the "hot" or "common" line. It probably is that way and the switch most likely is just grounded weird (most are grounded when mounted by the bracket they are mounted too. Try doing this, hook the negative post to the red screw, from one silver screw run a lead to a light bulb. Run another wire from from the positive post to the remaining light bulb post. Flip the switch off and on if it doesn't work, switch the "to light bulb" wire to the other silver screw.

Foodos
Frequent Poster
posted January 18, 2001 01:13 PM
I tried The Real'suggestion and it works, so the thing is just grounded fucky. I think I will als go to a radio shack like the previous poster said and find a push button, since running the positive wire directly to the battery defeats the purpose of the switch.

thanks

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted January 19, 2001 03:02 AM
Well not really. All that is needed is one line in the circuit to be interrupted and the electrical flow stops, it always takes two in DC we have positive and negative, in AC we have hot, common, ground, or more depending on phases. Ground and common or Ground and Hot are usually the same line. If any one of the wires carrying power to a device is opened flow will stop. Most every switch you operate only opens or closes one of those lines, which is the sole purpose of a switch. To run both lines through a switch you need to either purchase two switches or a swith that will do to lines, at radio shack those are typically knife switches. But really you only need to put a switch on one line.