View Full Version : Gas Tank Explosion - Archive File

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Lex_Luthor
A new voice
posted February 21, 2001 11:52 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone suggest a good and suitable way to detonate a car gas tank. With maybe a delay of 5 mins to 3 hrs. An estimate the damage. Also are there any substances combustable with unleaded gas?
------------------
The greatest criminal mind of all time

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted February 22, 2001 05:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why don't you look through the forum!
I don't think you are interested in how explosives work, I think you are one of those impatient people who just want to blow something up, and you don't care how. The whole forum's devoted to explosives damnit! Search.

Oh yeah, and what the hell are you talking about a delay of FIVE minutes to THREE hours???!!!! There is a big difference between the two!

[This message has been edited by blackadder (edited February 22, 2001).]

Anthony
posted February 22, 2001 10:22 AM
First off, Low Explosives don't detonate. Secondly, the only way to detonate a car gas tank is to fill it with HE.
You have been watching too many films! Car petrol tanks do not explode when set on fire!

Lex_Luthor
A new voice
posted February 22, 2001 10:49 AM
I think my understanding is that the gas inside the tank is what explodes? Right. Just wondering how it can be done.

vehemt
Frequent Poster
posted February 22, 2001 12:07 PM
Do not post the same thing in multiple sections.

Macgyver
April 5th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Well, the only real decent way to get a gas tank go with a bang is make sure it's almost empty of gas, i.e full of gas vapour with a little gas at the bottom.

So do the following, with tank all empty (Make sure to emty it of vapour too!), drill a hole as high up on the tank as you can get it, insert igniter and seal the hole with expoxy or that instant steel mix which you kneed with your hands and then goes rock hard after 10-15 minutes.

Connect the wires to your igniter to the delay device and put some gas back at the bottom of the tank.

I can tell you, I'd rather not be near when that one goes, gas vapurs in the right concentration with air is quite explosive....

Wanna try this in a smaller scale? Get a 20L gas container thats empty. Drill a fuse hole in the lid and expoxy it so there is no leak after you've inserted the fuse.

Now drip 15-20 millilitres of gas in the container and cap it.
Let it sit in the heat for some time, then go out and light the fuse and stand back...... :D

<small>[ April 05, 2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Macgyver ]</small>

metafractal
April 29th, 2003, 06:32 AM
May I inquire as to how you calculated 15-20 ml of octane? Is it a linear relationship? For instance, if 15-20 ml is for a 20L tank, then would 30-40 ml be requred for a 40L and in the same way 7.5-10 ml for a 10L tank?

vulture
April 29th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Gas Law:

P*V = N*R*T

P = pressure in Pa
V = volume in m<sup>3</sup>
N = number of moles
R = 0,082
T = temperature in Kelvin

And of course you'll need the molecular weight and density of your fuel of choice.

Anthony
April 29th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Petrol is not octane - look up the price of octane...

It is a linear relationship, it increases with volume to maintain the same - explosive - vapour/air ratio.

Magas
May 1st, 2003, 01:47 PM
:cool: The old calcium carbide in the pill bottle works fine just adjust the delay:cool: