View Full Version : Hmmm.....Sodatol etc. -Archive File

megalomania
September 29th, 2002, 06:52 PM
atropine
Frequent Poster
posted January 23, 2001 01:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have heard of some weird shit called sodatol, it supposedly is some kind of extremely powerfull explosive.I doubt any one here knows about it (including me), but its always worth a try. Oh yeah, what is the most powerfull non nuclear explosive which does not require the use of fuming nitric acid, or at least can be made via other nitrating means.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 23, 2001 03:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have never heard of "sodatol"; but that does not mean it doesn't exist.
It has been said that "The Most Powerful Non-Nuclear" is Astolitle A1/5; This consists of NH4NO3, Al dust, And hydraize(sp? suposed to be highly toxic).

------------------
A wise man once said:
"... As He Waits For The Time When The Last Become First And,
The First Shall Become last"
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Anthony
posted January 23, 2001 05:27 PM
Nah, I believe that was just made up to sell a book of some kind. HNIW has a higher DV than Astrolite, but then "most powerful" is rather vauge, I mean are we talking DV, brisance? volume of gas generated?
I'd bet that the most "powerful" explosive is one that cannot exist outside the Lab and so rather useless.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 24, 2001 02:43 PM
Astrolite is certainly not the most powerful non-nuclear explosive. And hydrazine is extremely nasty, so it's not really worth making it.
The most powerful things I'm aware of, in terms of energy released per gram, are HNIW, octonitrocubane (perfect oxygen balance in this one, det vel. is about 10km/s), and fuel vapour/oxygen mixtures (not necessarily in that order). Things such as mixtures of RDX, TNT and AN, in proportions that give a zero oxygen balance, are also very powerful. I suppose the most accurate definition of powerful would be which has the highest peak power, so a low-energy compound with a very high det. vel. could be more powerful than a very high-energy compound with a low det. vel., because all the energy would be released in a shorter time.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted January 30, 2001 09:48 AM
If I do remember right, sodatol is simply a mix of polynitrocompounds like dinitrotoluene,TNT, dinitrobenzene, TNB or polynitronaphtalene and dry sodium chlorate...to ensure a better oxygen balance; but sodium chlorate is an non explosive component only there to provide more oxygen.
Soda- for sodium, and -tol for polynitrotoluene....ASAT (As Simple As That).
A much better idea would be to mix polynitro aromatics with:
-NH4NO3 (ammatol)
-NH4ClO4
-NH2-NH3NO3
-NH2-NH3ClO4
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o )"