View Full Version : small HV cap

DoH BoY
August 22nd, 2001, 03:19 PM
I have a small 30kv 0.003uf capacitor that is 2"long and 1"in diameter. I cant think of anything to do with it yet. Does anyone have any ideas?

mongo blongo
August 22nd, 2001, 04:18 PM
lol That's just like saying mmmmm... i got me a chicken so what can i do with it?
What do YOU think you can do with it? You must have some idea or you would not have posted. Mabey a blasting cap? or you could fix your tv with it?

Jumala
August 22nd, 2001, 10:34 PM
This kind of capacitor is only good for one thing.
Connect it to the output of a stun gun.
You must make sure that the device doesn´t have a higher output voltage than 30 KV.

Than you will have a extrem powerful device.
Normal stun guns have only 1 mA output current. The new device can give short impulses of several amperes.
Very dangerous.

DoH BoY
August 23rd, 2001, 01:20 AM
Well than i guess ill be building a stun gun in the near future.

Microtek
August 24th, 2001, 11:10 AM
In the "Links" topic there is a link to the final papers from detonation symposium 98.
One of the papers are about electrical ignition of an ammonium perchlorate rocket propellant. They use 28KV discharges delivering on the order of 1 millijoule of energy. Maybe there is the potential of a primary-less detonator.

J
September 2nd, 2001, 11:16 AM
Jumala, a normal stun gun does give a short pulse of several amps. A cap is charged up to between 300 and 2000v depending on design, and discharged into a transformer.

I'll hopefully have full construction details of my home-made 70kV stun gun up soon, which puts out between 2J and 3J per second. I've almost finished writing the web-page, and I've taken quite a few photo's (and a couple of video's) to aid construction.

Doh Boy, your cap will put out around 1.3J max, which is great if you can charge it up several times a second. You'll have to decouple it from the victim whilst it's charging, if it's in contact with the victims skin it won't charge up beyond a certain level (perhaps a hundred volts or so) before discharging. That's the main weakness of the design on my web site at the moment.

J

------------------
Download the forum archive from my yahoo briefcase (http://uk.y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/thejuiceuk/lst?.dir=/&.src=bc&.view=l)
PGP key available here (http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/) (ID = 0x5B66A792)

Anthony
September 2nd, 2001, 07:58 PM
To avoid the cap discharging prematurely, add a spark gap that will break down when the cap reaches full charge.

Jumala
September 2nd, 2001, 10:31 PM
Hallo J,
I mean the devices wich can be bought free in every weapon shop. This things are designed to give not more current than approx. 1 mA. (the reason because they´re available without licence) They don´t have a transformer only a cascade.
Homemade devices, with transformer, can be much stronger. I have a plan with a TV HV transformer (20-25KV, more than enough voltage)