View Full Version : line thrower

rjche
August 15th, 2002, 08:31 PM
take a commercial sling shot with surgical tubing elastic.

take a spinning reel from a fishing rig

attach the spinning reel to the left side of the handle of the sling shot. Use some bondo to get a solid mating, and two cable ties to clamp the reel there.

have the line exit pointing up, and room for your right thumb above the reel mount ant the left y prong of the slingshot.

put a half or quarter ounce conical sinker on the line (6 lbs test ok)

hold the slingshot in right hand with thumb snug under left Y prong.

clik the reel to release the line for spinning out

feed the sinker around front of the prongs, via the fork back to the pad.

pull the pad and release and the sinker will go great distances, depending on the amount of line on the reel.

easy to put it clean over small buildings.

it then can pull up a larger nylon string, say 50 lbs test or more
by attaching that to the sinker and rewinding the reel.

that larger line can pull up a rope, and then anything desired can be pulled to the building top, including a person holding on like a rapeller and walking up the side of the building as someone pulls the rope, OR if in good shape, tie the other end of rope and pull yourself up by arm power.

This rig is very small, only a tad larger than the reel, easily carried, and easy to be accurate with.

A fishing pole will do the same but it takes more skill to put the sinker where you need it.

to make a climbing rope, tie a knot every foot of its length.

then with gloves your hands will not blister, nor slip and you can climb it.

another way is to tie a foot loop each 2 feet so feet can "walk" up the rope like a ladder by putting feet in alternate holes and using them as steps. Much easier on arms that way.

Don't use nylon rope for it will stretch enough to make lots of trouble. polyproplene is a good non stretching cheap rope, available in marine stores.

you don't need large safety factors on rope to climb small buildings.

a rope with 200 lbs breaking test is safe for a person weighing up to about 150 lbs.

Wise to test it for damaged spots by putting your full weight on it and jumping as hard as you are likely to do, in an accidental slip.

Rig the test so you stay close to the ground, so if it breaks you don't fall more than a yard or so.

PYRO500
August 15th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Moving to Tools, Techniques, and Plans...

Did you actually make this device? it seems to me that most reels would have too much jerk or pull to have the line ratchet out easily with a slingshot and travel in a straight parobla. I think a better choice would be something round upon witch the fishing line is wrapped around, perhaps a small length of pvc pipe. You would have the line unravel with the least amount of resistance if the tube were lined up with the arc of the flight of the line. it also might work better if you attached the spool or the piece of pipe holding the line right underneath the Y of the slingshot

<small>[ August 15, 2002, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: PYRO500 ]</small>

McGuyver
August 15th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Lockmasters makes this exact thing. I'm not sure if it's findable on the net, but it's in their catalog.

It's just a cheap wooden slingshot with a reel on the front. If memory serves, the reel does infact face upwards. You'd think it would face toward the target like a fishing rod... oh well.

nbk2000
August 16th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Such a thing might be useful for getting a line up to the ladders on water towers, high tension towers, billboards, etc, or up into trees with no low branches (perving/hiding/sniping).

Though, by its very nature, it's not something you could have an innocent explanation for the cops if they spot you with it.

A simple slingshot with a fishing lure on the end of the monoline works just as well. Simply lay out the needed length in several long loops between you and the target and let fly.

As for rope, if you get a rope over a round part of the structure, like a ladder rung or such, you can simply pull yourself up by pulling down on the free end. Simply tie a stick to the rope, sit on it (the rope being between your legs), and pull down on the free end.

The round part acts as a pulley and it's easy as fuck to go up or down with speed and little effort. I've used the black and orange polyprop rope for going up into tall trees doing this. Though the rope strips off the bark which falls on your head. :( I'd also "retire" a rope used for this after about 4 uses because it easily frays doing this and would be dangerous to use afterwards.

bonnsgeo
August 19th, 2002, 01:24 PM
hem ...sorry for this post but i d like to email to you nbk2000.
could u send me an email at bonnsgeo@yahoo.fr ?
thx

++++++++++++++++++++++

Why? What do you want to discuss? I don't just toss out my e-mail to anyone who asks. That's why I've had the same one for 3 years, because I'm selective about who knows about it, thus no spam.

<small>[ August 19, 2002, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: nbk2000 ]</small>