View Full Version : M.M.A.N.

Detonator
August 26th, 2001, 02:51 AM
From the same site :

M.M.A.N.

Full name: Monomethylamine Nitrate. This is a fairly powerful explosive, roughly equal in power to Trinitrophenol. It requires a large charge to set it off (2g of H.M.T.D. should be plenty in a detonator), and is very hygroscopic so it must be stored in airtight containers. The main attraction of this explosive is that any concentration of nitric acid can be used to make it.
VoD is 6100 m/s at 1.20 g/cm3. Relative briscancy = 0.55.

Step #1: The production of methylamine hydrochloride.

You will need:

14g of hexamethylenetetramine,
100mL of 15% hydrochloric acid,
100mL of acetone,
A filter funnel,
A filter paper,
Two 150mL beaker,
An alcohol or gas burner,
An evapourating dish,
A 500mL beaker,
A tripod,
Yes, and a glass rod.

1) Pour the hydrochloric acid into the 150mL beaker.
2) Add the hexamethylenetetramine. I was expecting something to happen when I did this - some bubbling or SOMETHING, but nothing happened except a slight temperature rise, so I'd say it'd be safe to add all the hexamethylenetetramine at once.
3) Stir it with the glass rod until all the hex. has dissolved.
4) Fill the 500mL beaker with water, put it on the tripod over the burner, and put the 150mL beaker into the hot water. Leave it there to evapourate off as much of the water as possible. Some NASTY fumes come off this. I'm not sure what they are, they could just be HCl coming off. They don't really smell, they just HURT. Carbon dioxide will also bubble off.
5) Quickly scrape the crystals out of the beaker, and put them into the other 150mL beaker.
6) Pour on the acetone, and crush up the crystals with the glass rod. Stir them around lots.
7) Filter out the crystals and put them onto the evapourating dish.
8) Put the evapourating dish over the 500mL beaker of boiling water, until the crystals are dry.
9) Scrape them into an AIRTIGHT container.

Step #2: The production of M.M.A.N.

Method #1:

You will need:

10g of methylamine hydrochloride,
24g of lead nitrate,
100mL of distilled water,
Two 150mL beakers,
A gas or alcohol burner,
A glass rod,
A filter funnel,
Two filter papers.

1) Pour the water into a beaker, and add the methylamine hydrochloride and the lead nitrate.
2) Stir them with the glass rod until they dissolve, leaving an opaque white precipitate of lead chloride.
3) Filter the solution into the other beaker. Throw away the solid.
4) Boil down the filtrate until crystals begin to appear.
5) Let the liquid cool and filter out these crystals, and save the filtrate in the other 150mL beaker.
6) Boil it down until crystals begin to appear, and cool it to 5*C or colder.
7) Filter out the crystals, and add them to the crystals filtered out before.
8) Put the crystals in an evapourating basin, and dry them over an oil bath at 100*C, or in a warm, very dry place.

cutefix
August 26th, 2001, 05:50 AM
I think TNP is more powerful than MMAN and not hygroscopic also.The value of these monomethylamine nitrate is only realized in water-gel explosives in which Du pont is applying it widely in their tovex formulations….These methylamine explosives are safer than picric acid in terms of toxicity and formation of sensitive picrates….
Comparison-according to Mega’s file, Picric acid has a VOD of 7480 m/s while MMAN has only 6100m/s…..

Mr Cool
August 26th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Yes, I was wondering about that. I said it was about as powerful as TNP because KIBC states that it has 120% the power of TNT. I think it was KIBC, it might have been another text. But when I worked out the brisancy it made me doubt it. I'll edit it.

Berserker
August 26th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Sounds good, you could probably use other metal (or ammonium) nitrates besides lead nitrate in part 2 of the process, and make sure no H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> sneaks into part 1. http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/wink.gif

Mr Cool
August 26th, 2001, 12:29 PM
You could use other nitrates, but lead is the best IMHO because the chloride precipitates easily. If you used NH4NO3, NaNO3 etc you'll have purity problems and losses in recrystalisation...