View Full Version : H2O2 Concentrations - archive file

zaibatsu
October 13th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Energy84
Frequent Poster
posted January 10, 2001 08:19 PM
Hello all. I've found some H2O2 at a hardware store in town. The problem is, there are two different bottles and one says that it contains 7% H2O2 but the other doesn't say. All it says on the bottle for a name is Home Hydrox (Home Hardware brand). I asked the clerk if she could find out what percentage it is but when she looked it up on her computer, it said that the product was discontinued and that they only have 6 bottles left (1L bottles).
So, I was wondering, has anybody used this stuff before or do they know the specific concentration? Is there a way to test concentration? (I have access to some very basic lab equipement) Is it still safe to use without knowing the concentration (for AP)? I'm assuming that I'd have to play around with my ratio's a bit.
I guess I should also mention the price. Both are 1L bottles and the 7% bottle is 3$ and the "unspecified %" costs about 6$. An interesting thing to note though, it's used as a cleaner (carpets and stuff) and all the directions say to dilute with water, lots of water. My guess is that this stuff is at least 30% H2O2.

------------------
why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?

radar
Frequent Poster
posted January 10, 2001 08:30 PM
It's probably 30% thats the common industrial strength, however if you live in the US, go to a swimming pool store and ask for bacaquil non chlorinated shock treatment, this stuff is 30% and it only costs like 12 bucks a gallon!