View Full Version : Gas Masks

Demolition
July 22nd, 2001, 09:48 AM
I have a found a very good place that sells Gas masks for about $55 Aus dollars (About $25 US dollars).Before I purchase one and start a couple of nitration's I have a few questions.
The guy at the store said these mask's are the proper thing and will filter Tear Gas.I'm pretty sure that nbk said that if they filter Tear Gas they'll filter NO2.Is this correct?
These mask's are full face one's covering your mouth,nose and eyes.Do you think it would be necessary to wear another face shield over the mask?
How often should I change the filter? (Depends on use I suppose)
I'm think these mask's are a good price and after all,it may save my life and come in handy when the Riot Police bring out their tear Gas.http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif
Demolition

[This message has been edited by Demolition (edited July 22, 2001).]

deezs
July 22nd, 2001, 11:03 AM
In one of my chemistry books, there is a short table about gas masks. According to this, the masks, which will protect you from nitrous oxides are marked with greyis colour. I don't know if it is an international marking, or used only in Europe, but I'm sure, that every gas masks must have a small piece of paper attached, on which you can see, what kind of gases can the mask filter out.
I myself have no gas masks, and made dozens of reactions, which produced toxic gases, not only NOx, and never had any problems. I always bring out my stuff to the back of the garden, far away from trees and animals. I keep a distance of 4-5 meters. The wind will do the job.
Before you buy a mask, think it over: how many times would you use it one week, and how long? Have you ever weared a gas mask more than a few minutes? It's not comfortable at all. It's no use to buy it, and never use it.
If you want to protect your health, you have better to try every reactions in a smaller (1/5, 1/10 of the recipe) quantity. If you know the reaction, you will be able to controll it, and then it is impossible to get poisoned by any gas.
If you have not enough experinece with dangerous chemicals, buy a simple face shield (that kind, which is only a thin plastic sheet, cowering your whole face. It is not so close to your face as the protective spectacles, it is more comfortable in warm weather.
I'm very poor, so I'm always trying to choose the cheepest way. I have improvised this one too:
Cut down the bottom and the top of a thin 2l coke bottle(the disposable kind), and make a cut lenghtways. The plastic sheet jumps together to a smaller diameter tube from its own elasticity. Cover the edges of the plastic with insulating tape, and it is ready. To use it, you just simply force it open, and put on your face. It stays there without any fixing.

DaRkDwArF
July 30th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Oh god, you better not be talking about those Islam Gas masks at the army disposals!!! Trust me on this one, personal safety is top priority, spend $200 au on a gasmask if you can, make sure it's brand new, from a good company and has brand new filters!!! Alot of welding supply stores and what not around Australia sell good gasmasks, they're not cheap, but when your own personal well being comes into play you never settle for second best....

[This message has been edited by DaRkDwArF (edited July 30, 2001).]

Demolition
July 30th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Actually,I am,although I don't think there Islam.They have German masks in there but he said they've been used.I can't remember the name of the other one but these haven't been used before and they all have new filters on them.Still with the little tag over the end.
I'll have a look tomorrow and see what they are called.

------------------

To be untouchable one must first surround himself with the strong.
Demolition

megalomania
August 21st, 2001, 02:47 AM
For a thorough primer on safety equipment I recommend Lab Safety Supply co at www.labsafety.com (http://www.labsafety.com) They have a very nice selection of the best safety equipment in the biz, their catalog is free and their prices are very low. They have several different versions of their catalog nowadays (labware, signs & labels, first aid, maintenance, material handling, spill cleanup, and general safety) They will send you 1 or all depending on your needs.
They provide a lot of detailed info on what different respirators and gasmasks can do, as well as an assortment of cartriges for each one. They sell in small quantities or large, they even have a toll free hotline to ask questions to determine what kind of safety equipment you need (very important considering it could be your health involved).

------------------
For the most comprehensive and informative web site on explosives and related topics, go to Megalomania's Controversial Chem Lab at http://surf.to/megalomania

twinkle
August 21st, 2001, 04:55 AM
they are right just buy a brand new one with
new sealed ! filters . A very good one is "Dreager" they are world wide . there are all kind of filters special ones but also combination filters but be aware that also your skin is breathing to , so protect that also and use a suction out installation to for your safety