View Full Version : Glycol Ether

nbk2000
July 28th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Where I work at we recently received a shipment of a new glass cleaner for the coffee pots.

The main ingredients are isopropanol (yawn) and glycol ether. Now, what I'm wondering is, is glycol ether useable for any good explosive synths? Peroxides and trinitrates come to mind, but a search here, through Vogels, and COPAE didn't come up with anything useful.

I put this here first because I don't know if it can be used for anything explosive, or what kind of explosive. If it is, I'll transfer this topic to the appropriate section, if not, it's already where it belongs.

I'll get a hold of the MSDS and get an exact compositional listing and supplier if possible.

Mr Cool
July 29th, 2002, 08:25 AM
D'ya reckon it means diethylene glycol ether? "Glycol" normally refers to ethylene glycol IIRC.
Well, diethyl ether is H3C-CH2-O-CH2-CH3, maybe glycol ether is cyclic, -(CH2-CH2-O-CH2-CH2-O)-?
If so, I'd imagine that it would be easily peroxidised, and prone to hydrolysis in acidic conditions, though perhaps not spontaneously.

vulture
July 30th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Glycol ether can indicate several substances of the following structure: R-O-(CH2)n-O-R

R is any carbon chain and n=2 usually.
Polyethyleneglycol does exist, but obviously it's not cyclic.
Ethers tend to get easily peroxidized because of the C-O-C bond, so maybe there is some potential.

Mr Cool
July 30th, 2002, 06:25 PM
NBK: How viscous is the cleaner?
If it's quite thick, and those are the only two ingredients, it would indicate that the R's have long chain lengths, meaning a peroxide made with it would suck.