View Full Version : aluminum hydride - Archive File

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 07:53 PM
firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted February 13, 2001 03:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone ever heard of AlH3? I saw it on this web site where I was looking at their production of Dinitramide salts. They look cool. But about the AlH3, I did a search for it and the only thing that came up was Lithium aluminum hydride, i don't know which is what. This stuff is supposed to be pretty sensitive and high energy and powerful. Any of you heard of it? Know how to make it? I also saw KH and NaH but they are probably super dangerous because of the high reactivity of group 1 metals. Probably even ignite in humid weather in the cold.
[This message has been edited by firebreether (edited February 13, 2001).]

nbk2000
posted February 13, 2001 06:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I once had a kilo of LAH sent to me from germany as a free sample and the stuff came in an air tight can (5 gallon bucket), argon purged, with the product in a sealed poly bag, embedded in fire retardant. Needless to say I wasn't to eager to open it up.
LAH can catch spontaneously ignite in air, from just any trace of moisture, burning with a very hot flame. It is aluminum, lithium, and hydrogen combined together after all.

It's not of any use for explosive chemistry, though it is very useful for drug synthesis.

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted February 13, 2001 07:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be super sensitive. But how about reg. AlH3 does it even come like this? This would seem less sensitive

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted February 15, 2001 12:12 AM
I have a 20lb unopened bag of it at work. It's sealed in a in a doubly 4mil poly bag, surrounded in vermiculite/fire retardent, in a tin, in a HDPE bucket. I have no idea what we have it for. I control the lab inventory and have to be up to date on the hazardaous chems we have. I came across it when I first started it was stored next to a DI Water system, how nice. The MSDS says it will explode or burst into flames when in contact with water. I've never played with it though. And I don't really want to open a 20lb bag of it, maybe if I quit I'll just take it. It's a chemical we have that's been long forgotten, such as the many -CN compounds we have for whatever reasons.

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted February 15, 2001 12:58 AM
Cool! I would sink it to the bottom of the ocean with a depth charge. Sounds fun. I got goosebumps!

jin
Frequent Poster
posted February 15, 2001 02:17 AM
i have seen two flash powder mixtures that use hydrides,titanium and zirconium from the book highly expolsive pyrotechnic compositions.some phone batteries have nickel hydride in them.

PYRO500
posted February 15, 2001 03:16 PM
what do you think the stuff costs? and what german company sent you a free sample or was it a gray area in the law that let you keep it

PYRO500
posted February 15, 2001 03:19 PM
If I had some of that stuff I would put it over a high explosive like ap and put it in a lake in a styrofoam boat and have the HE blow it up over the lake and watch the fire ring on the lake! (probably would kill all the fish but then who the hell cares!)

jin
Frequent Poster
posted February 15, 2001 08:52 PM
i asked a chemical company for the price of titanium hydride a few years ago,$370 for 500 grams.

[This message has been edited by jin (edited February 15, 2001).]

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted February 15, 2001 09:52 PM
I'll sell that 20lbs for half the german price!

PYRO500
posted February 15, 2001 09:57 PM
Hey The Real, email me.
thanks KG4BOJ@HOTMAIL.COM

[This message has been edited by PYRO500 (edited February 15, 2001).]

nbk2000
posted February 15, 2001 10:42 PM
I scammed my hydride from the german company. They thought I was a purchasing agent for a research company so they sent me a sample to "test for suitablilty in our process".
But that was 10 years ago. Things may have changed since then, what with all the drug laws and all.

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

PYRO500
posted February 17, 2001 02:33 AM
I was thinking of making water activated blasting caps! just use cheap acquarium tubing on the end of a super soake to ignite the stuff and set off your primary, or better yet, LAH bullet hit strips! as a depth charge you could use cotton as a delay(will soak up moisture untill it gets sat.) man! the posibilities are endless with this stuff! I hear from msds sheets this stuff is making H2 when it decomposes, so you make a fae with this stuff it wil probably cause huge pressures and burn up all the O2 (it releases H2) and the biproduct will be some lithium aluminum oxides/salts and water so It could suffocate anything in the vicinity. the thing I find the most interesting about it is it's ability to burn or explode with most liquids witch leads to some fun applications!