View Full Version : PH Meters

Alchemist
September 11th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Hello all,

I would like to hear from anyone that has had experiences with PH meters in the $25 to say $55 dollar price range. I have seen many on sale at E-Bay, but do not know what brands are good or bad. Also I have heard on many the probes do not last very long! So if ya know what brand may be the better in this price range please respond. Thanks!!!

mongo blongo
September 11th, 2002, 10:13 PM
I used to work with electrical PH meters quite a bit and I can tell you they are a pain in the ass if you have the bog standard ones! I can't remember any brand names I was using but they had to be constantly be re-calibrated and we had many thrown away! They were the glass electrode ones. I would recommend getting a decent (more expensive) one if you want one that is reliable and lasts.

Jhonbus
September 12th, 2002, 03:26 PM
I've never found pH meters to be worth the hassle, unless you're trying to figure out the orders of reactions etc. A glass rod and a bit of UI paper is normally sufficient for any reasonable needs.
Don't forget that for a meter you're going to need the relevant buffer solutions for calibration.

<small>[ September 12, 2002, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Jhonbus ]</small>