View Full Version : Mg; A new Source -archive file

megalomania
October 7th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 15, 2001 06:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have just found out today that you can obtain "Mg and Mn Rods" from "Hot Water Heaters." They are used to reduce rusting of the tank in some of the new "Hot Water Heater." My chemistry Teacher told the class that today; and my eyes lit up(were peaked with interest). I figured that I would be so kind as to share this little fact with you. Maybe it will be cheaper than the grinding down fire "starters."

------------------
A wise man once said:
"... As He Waits For The Time When The Last Become First And,
The First Shall Become last"
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted January 16, 2001 01:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mg can also be bought for tomatoes (I guess if they're not doing well), I'm gonna go around and look for some.

Anthony
posted January 16, 2001 02:35 PM
In pure form?!

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted January 16, 2001 04:29 PM
I'd imagine it would have to be pretty pure to play any decent part in the dispacement reaction

Anthony
posted January 16, 2001 07:53 PM
No, I meant for putting on tomatoes! The only thing I have seen is magnessium sulphate.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 16, 2001 08:30 PM
Does anybody Know how much the rods would cost.
Also does anybody know if it is possible to Weld Mg.

------------------
A wise man once said:
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

PYRO500
posted January 16, 2001 08:58 PM
that is not a good idea beacuse the magnesium will probably catch fire and burn through anything in its way

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 17, 2001 01:43 PM
so that is a no...right?
I guess you could always Cold Weld it. They use this on Aircraft i think.
Do anybody know how much tyhe rods are?

------------------
A wise man once said:
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Anthony
posted January 17, 2001 02:42 PM
I've emailed a central heating (that fit/repair them) company and asked if they have any/got any prices. If I get a reply I'll post it.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 17, 2001 04:31 PM
Thanx Anthony

------------------
A wise man once said:
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted January 17, 2001 06:53 PM
When I looked, it said
"Magnesium for Mg deficient tomatoes"

might be pure, dunno.

what can I use Magnesium sulphate for?

Anthony
posted January 17, 2001 07:17 PM
Epsom Salt?

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 17, 2001 08:38 PM
Is Magnesium Sulfate(MgSO4) an Oxygen Donar as in the case of Barium Sulfate[(BaSO4) Look in the Flash powder Post in Low Explosives]. The Reason I ask is because they are in the same Family on the Periodic Table.

------------------
A wise man once said:
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Anthony
posted January 18, 2001 05:58 AM
I've got some potassium sulphate and I can't get it to do anything interesting.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted January 18, 2001 03:17 PM
Basically, Magnesium sulphate is an oxidizing agent? Cool, I'll mess around with it, and come back later.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 18, 2001 03:23 PM
Sulphates only act as oxidisers at high temperatures. An Al or Mg fuel might burn hot enough, but I don't think sugar or charcoal would. You could also try adding a catalyst such as MnO2 or Fe2O3 to make it easier to ignite, but I'm not 100% sure if those would work.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted January 18, 2001 03:45 PM
Oh, so would Iron oxide used for thermite, be one of these oxidising agents which only act as oxidisers at high temperatures? I think I'll replace the sugar that I would have used with Al powder. Hmmm.
Thanks for the advice Mr cool!

Anthony
posted January 18, 2001 06:45 PM
I remeber reading in Skylighter now that it is a "high temperature oxidiser" used in some rocket propellants IIRC. I suppose that I never bothered perciveering with it since I had a pot of KClO3 right next to it
The Thermite thing: If I remeber my chemsity right, iron oxide is -not- an oxidiser, the reaction is a puerly a displacement reaction that produces enough heat to sustain the reaction. So it can still burn confined with access to air because it isn't actually burning. Although I'm wondering that the oxygen in the iron oxide would be released when heated which would support combustion. Trouble is, my theory then goes out the window since that's exactly what an oxidiser does!

I think I've screwed this up something royal, but I do know for sure that thermite reacts not "burns".

vulture
October 27th, 2002, 05:54 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"> If I remeber my chemsity right, iron oxide is -not- an oxidiser, the reaction is a puerly a displacement reaction that produces enough heat to sustain the reaction.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Sorry to prove you wrong anthony, but this is a classical redox reaction. Iron gets reduced from +III to zero while Al get's oxidised to Al +III. Thus, Fe<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> is the oxidizer here and Al is the reducer.

And magnesium for tomatoes is a magnesium salt, not pure magnesium. If you use your brain you would know that magnesium metal is not soluble and thus useless for plants...

Anthony
October 27th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Aww, come on - it was two years ago :)

I never did get a reply from that bastard central heating firm :mad:

kingspaz
October 27th, 2002, 07:56 PM
alot's changed in the past 2 years...

SATANIC
October 27th, 2002, 08:12 PM
If it makes any difference now, yes, the central rods of many hot watwer heaters are Mg. A friend pulled one out (they screw in at the top) when they had the old water cylinder removed.

He wasn't sure if it was magnesium, so he lit one end with a blow torch. :rolleyes:

Yes, it was magnesium, it burnt pretty brightly I was told, along the entire length. (I wasn't there :( ) what a waste, it was pretty heavy, (solid) and about 3/4 of an inch wide, 1.5 metres long.

I still have a small piece somewhere, I was going to grind it down to use; because it didn't burn entirely through, there was still a central core left, that was heavily coated with (I assume) MgO, that was about 1/4 inch thick. The very centre was a steel rod, only a few mm thick.

It'd be a very cheap source of Mg if you could be bothered grinding it down, you could probably pick a few up at any scrap yard or 2nd hand metal merchant.

BrAiNFeVeR
October 28th, 2002, 06:13 AM
I just found one in the big .be !!

<a href="http://www.alumet.be/magnesium.htm" target="_blank">http://www.alumet.be/magnesium.htm</a>

The company sells scrap Mg from engines and such, with an incredible capacity of 250 Metric Tons/month !!

I'm sure it's possible to get smaller amounts at a reasonable price ...

The alloy is:

<a href="http://www.uk-racing-castings.co.uk/mag_composition.htm" target="_blank">http://www.uk-racing-castings.co.uk/mag_composition.htm</a>

G-MgAl8Zn1

Aluminium 7.0 - 8,5
Zn 0.3 - 1,0
Mn 0.1 - 0,3
Mg remainder

So that's over 90% Mg; This looks like an excellent pyro-composition !!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MT, when used in subjects other than nuclear weapons yeilds, does NOT mean "megatons". It means "Metric Tons".

NBK

<small>[ October 28, 2002, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: nbk2000 ]</small>

Zach
November 1st, 2002, 03:45 PM
i think ive posted this before, but the old VW beetles have a Mg engine block. I doubt it'd be easy to rip one out of somone elses car, or practial, in accordance to the RTPB, but if somone works in a salvage yard or something like that, they could probably salvage one.