View Full Version : NaNo2!!!!! can I get HNO3?

THEBOARDER
April 14th, 2003, 09:36 AM
HI all.......i have a few killooo of nano2,,,if any body know how can i get hno3 from it??????????????????????

or if i can convert nano2 to nano3????????????????:confused:

rikkitikkitavi
April 14th, 2003, 03:03 PM
this is gonna hert, newbie....

well, waisting NaNO2 to make HNO3 is almost a crime. Search for what you can do with NaNO2.

NaNO3 or other nitrates are fairly easily accessible compared to NaNO2.

Anyway, heating NaNO2 decomposes it into NaNO3, Na2O, Na2O2 . The latter reacts with water to NaOH, wich can be neutralized with H2SO4, and voila , you have Na2SO4 and NaNO3 in solution.

But for f-k sake, dont react H2SO4 with Na2O or Na2O2 directly, unless you are standing far away. It will all come back into your face.

If you have an oxidizer perhaps you can oxidize NO2- to NO3-
, but again it will yeild a mixture of various compounds and is a waste of good chemicals..

/rickard

Einsteinium
April 14th, 2003, 07:23 PM
This is a classic, a good informative procedure is to be found here:
http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/misc.php?s=&action=faq

Beware, it may increase your HED-dodging skills if you read it carefully.

Anthony
April 15th, 2003, 03:47 PM
The world is full of injustice, how can someone like this be treated to NaNO2?

Maybe you shouldn't play with it till you know what to do with it? That and learning how to FUCKING TYPE PROPERLY!:mad:

Marvin
April 18th, 2003, 12:45 AM
Hmm, I like weird problems. Like the making sulphuric acid from nitric thread.

How about mixing with sodium hydrogen sulphate, or a transition metal salt, a little heat should produce NOx and water vapour very easily, add a little oxygen and condense the nitric acid. NO2 is rather toxic though. If it wernt for the oxygen problem it could be done in a semisealed container.

If you make a NaNO2 solution acid, it should start absorbing oxygen from the air. Not sure how fast though. Seems like rather a wasted opertunity to convert to nitrate and then do the usual. Must be a more devious method for nitrc acid from this salt. Sulphuric acid probably liberates NO/NO2 in stociometric amounts on contact, add a little oxygen and you could probably enrich WNA to conc acid without distillation.

I get the nasty feeling I'm missing something clever that could be done with this.

knowledgehungry
April 18th, 2003, 01:48 PM
I have an easy solution to this problem. Here is how you can change your NaNO2 to NaNO3 which you can then use to make HNO3. Send me your NaNO2 and i will send you an equal amount of NaNO3 you will get more than 100% theoritical yeild, cant go wrong with that.:D