View Full Version : Silveracetylide

kkpaul
April 18th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Hi @ All!

This is my first post. Have anybody else tried to produce it? I once made a batch of 10g of it and it is quite powerfull. Unfortunately it is relatively sensitive on friction and impact.

We placed 0,8g (our first sample) on a 6mm thick PVC Plate. It gave a big BOOM and it made a 3cm diametre hole in it......

You can produce it by bubbling acetylene gas through a silvernitrate solution.... After that you can wash it a few times with dest. water and dry it.

So im from germany, so excuse my bad english :P

kingspaz
April 18th, 2003, 07:04 PM
i've just made about 50g of it. all in different batches of course.
does yours darken to a grey/brown colour thoughout if dried in light but not direct light? i have noticed this stuff to be particularly violent but i can't find out what it is. federoff says most of the silver acetylide/silver salt complexes are white.

anybody know what this compound is? all i know is that it contains nitrate ions. reason: i have a completely darkened silver acetylide/silver sulphate sample which doesn't do much in a fire. therefore the nitrate must still be in the darkened nitrate complex because it explodes in a fire.
any help appreciated.

kkpaul, its ALOT more complicated than running acetylene through AgNO3, sure that will prepare somthing, but what!?
many things affect it, i think pH does since you get different products from precipitation from ammoniacal and HNO3 solutions. also concentration plays a role as you get different products depending on concentration.

moving this to other explosives because its a primary.