View Full Version : Nitrobenzoyl Peroxide

knowledgehungry
April 19th, 2003, 11:49 AM
As I was looking through the Organic synthesis databaseorganic synthesis database (http://www.orgsyn.org) I came across this compound, C14H8N2O8. It is prepared by several different methods.
A 600-ml. beaker containing 100 ml. of water and equipped with an efficient stirrer, a thermometer, and a 200-ml. separatory funnel is immersed in an ice-water bath. When the temperature of the water has fallen to 0–5°, 10 g. (0.13 mole) of sodium peroxide (Note 1) is added. Then, with vigorous stirring, a solution of 37 g. (0.2 mole) of p-nitrobenzoyl chloride in 100 ml. of dry toluene is added dropwise over a period of about 30 minutes. After the mixture has been stirred for an additional 1.5 hours, the precipitate is filtered and washed with 200 ml. of cold water (Note 2). The yield of p-nitrobenzoyl peroxide is 28.5–29 g. (86–88%). It melts at 155–156°with vigorous decomposition .
That was one method but there was another mentioned in very little detail about nitrating benzoyl peroxide(the acne medicine) with the standard mixed acids. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the explosive power(if any at all) of this compound, it would appear to have a very low oxygen balance, C14H8N2O8--> N2+4H2O+4CO+10C, however it might be mixed with AN. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Here is the website for the reaction http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv3p0649
And here is a picture of the molecule http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/chemname.asp?nameID=53523

knowledgehungry
April 22nd, 2003, 07:38 PM
Well since i cant edit my post...
Do any of you have an opinion on this because i was planning on working on the extraction of benzoyl peroxide from Acne cream, but if this is a half ass idea i dont want to bother. I just thought that someof you might be interested in something new instead of the same old "how to make AP easier" shit, i guess not.

Nihilist
April 23rd, 2003, 12:50 AM
maybe i'm missing something(and i probably am), but couldn't you just nitrate it using a regular nitric/sulfuric acid bath? As to the extraction of the benzoyl peroxide from the acne medicine, i would think dissolving the medicine in acetone or maybe ethyl alcohol might be able to extract it. However, the acne medicine that I have seen only comes in 10% benzoyl peroxide form, and it can only be purchased in relatively small tubes only 1-2 grams of actual benzoyl peroxide could be gotten out of each tube, so it might be wise to try to find a more efficient source.

A43tg37
April 23rd, 2003, 02:22 AM
I've seen tubes of acne cream that are almost as big as a tube of toothpaste, and some as small as a tube of Blistex, and everything in between. Seems a little more than one or two grams could be had from one of the larger tubes. Also, if efficiency or cost seems to be an issue, either: Go for the cheapest generic brand you can get (another benefit in this is that a generic would probably have less additives intended to make it less harsh on your skin, which means less crap to separate from what you really want), or wait until some discount store has them on clearance in the health and beauty section. I seem to remember Big Lots doing this occassionally, and even though I only recall seeing little tubes of the stuff, they were incredibly cheap. If this process turns out to be viable, then mabye I'll stock up next time it's cheap. Oh, and mabye we should check out prices on the benzoyl peroxide cleansing creams that come in those little tubs...If they're 10% benzoyl peroxide too, it seems it would be more economical than buying the acne stuff by the tube. And even if this isn't the most economically viable process for obtaining benzoyl peroxide, it still ought to be studied (as an example of a process that is expensive but could still be useful, I point to the "metaldehyde from slug pellets" idea), in case the time ever comes when benzoyl peroxide (and probably other "suspicious" chemicals that could be used in peroxide-based primer and explosive synthesis) become more heavily watched in their technical, lab, or pure forms than they are now (IIRC benzoyl peroxide can be purchased as lab grade from most major chem suppliers without much hassle).

frogfot
April 23rd, 2003, 03:55 AM
Both metyl benzoate and benzoic acid could be nitrated (one resp two nitro groups). Shouldnt there be a way to replace methyl in methyl benzoate with chlorine.. or replace H in benzoic acid with chlorine? This could then be peroxidised.

knowledgehungry
April 23rd, 2003, 04:35 PM
My major question was if this compound would be explosive, looking at it i think that it might but i am not the most knowledgeable forumite. So that was my main question.
Here is the list of ingredients in CVS brand acne cream, 10% benzoyl peroxide, aluminum hydroxide gel, bentonite, carbomer-940, dimethicone, glycerol stearate SE, isopropryl myristate,methylparaben, peg-12, potassium hydroxide, propylene glycol, propylparaben and water.
That seems like an awful lot of work, i will probably just purchase some from a chem supplier, unless someone thinks of an easy way to separate the benzoyl peroxide.

Anthony
April 23rd, 2003, 05:00 PM
Benzoyl peroxide is the catalyst for car body filler, fibre glass resin etc.

Should be much purer than in acne cream!

frogfot
April 23rd, 2003, 05:20 PM
Are you talking about benzoyl peroxide or nitrobenzoyl peroxide? I think i saw the first one in bigger concentrations too. It was around 50% i section where they selled silicone, it was probably same thing as Anthony was talking about.
Btw, benzoyl peroxide is shocksencitive and may explode, comercially they store it wet (25% water) and cold.

EDIT: Soz, my foalt, i have read first topic but it was a while back.. and memory isnt my friend :(

knowledgehungry
April 23rd, 2003, 10:36 PM
I was merely discussing the aquisiton of benzoyl peroxide as a precursor to nitrobenzoyl peroxide. I still havent had any body respond as to whether or not they think it would be an explosive worthy of my time.