View Full Version : Melted AP Detonators

static_firefly
April 21st, 2003, 10:26 AM
Hey

The other day i was melting AP (very small amounts) and letting it recrystalise at maxium density before lighting it to a nice woompf. It got me thinking a little about how there was a thread about melting the AP with hot water before inserting it into the charge so its VOD is at its highest. But this is dangerous because of cracking and stuff. So i pondered for a while and though about a normal cap with fluffy AP (so its more shock resistant) thats sorrounded with some sort of LE. You insert the thing into the charge and when the fuse touches the LE it burns around the cap first (which is metal so it doesnt burn through) and melts the AP then burns inside and sets of the molten AP. Even if the LE is hot enough to set the AP off while its burning around it wouldnt matter since it would have melted it first anyway. This results in a "safer" more powerful detonator.

Iv told this to a few people and they said the results wouldnt be worth the trouble and the result not really noticable. Thats why i posted it in here and well...im kinda scared to post in the other fourms.

Anthony
April 21st, 2003, 01:18 PM
I'm inclined to agree with what other people have said to you - it seems a lot of effort for questionable gain. Would goo pressing not achieve a similar density to molten AP?

Kriegsminister
April 21st, 2003, 05:49 PM
I don't think that such a detonator design is in any way better than the "traditional design".

The "heating charge" would raise the temperature much too quickly. I guess that the melting point and the deflagration point of AP lie close together, which requires slow and careful heating to melt it. Some AP might melt but in a matter of milliseconds it will go boom anyway. Most of the AP will still be in solid form when it explodes and thus not rise the VoD significantly. The fuse or bridgewire in standard detonators does more or less the same. Some of the AP surrounding the fuse or wire will also melt before it explode.
Besides the heating charge would also make the detonator a little larger.

I'd still go with the standard method of pressing. It's easier, more reliable and not of much diffrence in strength.

kingspaz
April 21st, 2003, 06:39 PM
also there is then a significant gap between the AP and secondary charge. thus rendering the detonator much less effective.