View Full Version : Snap

Mic
April 23rd, 2003, 09:40 PM
SNAP stand for Strontium Nitrate + Acetone Peroxide. Now that the winter is over, I can restart doing my favorite hobby ! So I will try this experiment maybe next weekend ! I will do the standard ratio (10% AP) of APAN but I will use Strontium nitrate at the place of Ammonium nitrate. I extract my strontium nitrate from road flares. I will post result of my tests after I do it. Suggestions and comments are welcome !

xyz
April 23rd, 2003, 09:59 PM
I think that this will probably work quite well, I have had a lot of success with APPN and APAN mixes.

A-BOMB
April 24th, 2003, 08:17 AM
If this works for you, I think I just found something to use all those flares for.

NERV
April 24th, 2003, 11:43 PM
It will most likely work. I have had lots of success with PNNM, and NaNNM mixes. Only thing that would be of concern is that Strontium nitrate has low power, and is very insensitive.

Mic
April 26th, 2003, 07:54 PM
It works ! :D
I just detonate 10g of SNAP. I put 9g of Strontium nitrate and 1g AP in a film cannister and I detonate it with a .5g AP det. I think the bang was a little less louder than APAN. Well, I don't really see any advantage over APAN but the only good thing is that strontium nitrate isn't hydroscopic but KNO3 and NaNO3 aren't either.

VX
April 26th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Of course their are advantages! SNAP sounds far better than APAN, or KNAP!

Other than that, their is bound to be somone who is able to find SN and non of the others.

(like the look of the new forum by the way, a lot!)

xyz
April 26th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Mic, I thought NaNO3 was hygroscopic?

I like to use flame sensitive APPN mixes for crackers because the KNO3 is not hygroscopic and it allows me to "cut" my AP (I can fill three to four times as many crackers with the same amount of AP, and they are just as loud).

Mic
April 26th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Oh well, I did not know that NaNO3 was hygroscopic. We learn something everyday ;) ! I never "play" with NaNO3.
Another thing I plan to try this weekend is to bind the SNAP with SP.

NERV
April 26th, 2003, 11:00 PM
NaNO3 is only slightly hygroscopic, its almost unnoticeble. Most sodium compounds are hydroscopic to an extent. When I left a small pile of NaClO3/ shugar mix out for a week I found it to be slightly damp.

dave
April 27th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Ok, I have been reading posts and people have seem to have no problems using differnet nitrates in HE compositions. Is there really any benefit in AN over PN, CN, SN, or NaN? They all seem to be able to be detonated. The only AN composition I use is APAN and if i leave the AN out for a long time it gets quite damp. I was wondering how PN compares to AN. Is it less sensitive, more sensitive, more or less powerful. PN is also easier and cheaper of me to obtain. Is there really any benefit of AN over the other nitrates? I do think that the idea of SNAP as an explosive composition name sounds really awsome. And plus about SN can be extracted from a road flare? Thanks for the info.

xyz
April 27th, 2003, 05:16 AM
AN is a lot more sensitive/powerful than other nitrates, and it is also usually a lot cheaper. I use AN instead of KNO3 for all my charges for these two reasons. Crackers are the only thing that I use APPN for, because it is not hygroscopic, and crackers are still bloody loud with APPN.

Where are you getting your AN? KNO3 is usually more than double the price of AN.

Strontium nitrate can be extracted from road flares, I have never done this so I can't tell you exactly how people do it but it probably involves dissolving, filtering, and re-crystalysing the flare comp.

jfk
April 27th, 2003, 05:20 AM
the fist thing that it is about is availability, we are a collection of people from all corners of the globe, so many different countried with so many different laws. for example: anthony can buy concentrated sulphuric acid from a hard ware store as a 'drain opener' in england, while in new zealand sulphuric acid is a substance sontrolled by the government because of its useage in drug manufacture.

so if i cant get CN, or NaN ill have to use PN because its available.

mind you go to any fertiliser place and they should have AN and PN because they are very common fertilisers.

i pay $2 NZD / kilogram of KNO3 and about the same per kilogram of NH3NO3 (AN)