View Full Version : Water-dissolved toxins

Einsteinium
May 3rd, 2003, 12:23 AM
I was doing the laundry when I had this very simple, but seemingly never discussed, idea: using micelles to dissolve organic poisons/toxins in aqueous media (water). I will limit the theoretical to soaps/detergents as they are by far the most encountered micelles-forming agents:

Ex. of Soap: /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\-CO2Na
" Detergent: /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\-SO3Na

When dissolved in water, soaps/detergents aggregates into balls where the carboxylates/sulfonates are met at the surfaces and long hydrocarbon chains at the hearts. The latter non-polar heart of the micelle has the dissolving properties of a non-polar solvent while the overall ball is water-soluble thanks to its ionic surface (thus they dissolve greases/oils in water...). That is, with micelles, one can easily make very deadly poisons mixtures, for example an innocent-looking, very clear :D, dioxin aqueous solution. Detergent cost me 15$/18kg from a commercial supply, quite cheap for the power to easily destroy defenseless water-based ecosystems by pouring the stuff in ennemy's lakes, rivers :cool:... Any thoughts, comments or other interesting applications for micelles are welcomed.

nbk2000
May 3rd, 2003, 02:41 AM
I remember reading that the "Yellow Rain" T2 toxins in cambodia were found to have sulfonate detergent mixed with it, presumably to allow for better dispersion.

Also, adding a detergent would allow for more rapid degradation of an otherwise persistant agent, like mustard, because of the dispersion into water and washing from vegetation would allow for increased hydrolysis and decontamination of the target area by rain.