View Full Version : Explosive D - Archive Thread

Anthony
March 4th, 2003, 05:57 PM
sadsakjoel
Frequent Poster
posted January 06, 2001 06:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
how do i turn picric acid to explosive d? thankyou lots

green beret
Frequent Poster
posted January 06, 2001 07:42 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think explosive D is a salt of picric acid, ammonium picrate I think. Could be wrong though.
[This message has been edited by green beret (edited January 06, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 06, 2001 08:44 AM
Take your PA, and dissolve it in excess ammonia solution. That stuff you can buy in supermarkets for cleaning floors or whatever is fine as long as it's clear, non-scented etc. It needs to be pure. Do this with good ventilation, because ammonia fumes hurt your eyes and nose. The colour should change from the yellow colour of PA to a more orange/red colour. Evapourate off all the water, and there you have it! Ex. D!

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted January 06, 2001 09:03 AM
Don't do it ! you will most likely be unable to detonate Explosive D unless you have a really huge booster, and then you'll have ruined perfectly good PA. Besides, Explosive D is not a better explosive than PA either DV or energy-wise so you should just make sure that the PA is isolated from metals in your bomb. Use a simple coat of varnish and you'll have no problems. PA itself is almost as stable as TNT.

sadsakjoel
Frequent Poster
posted February 07, 2001 04:07 AM
thinking back to an old post on annm, it was said that the nitromethane was sensitised by the ammonia compounds in the AN and not the opposite (nm sensitising an) maybe the reacted Picric acid (explosive d)? could sensitise nitromethane

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted February 07, 2001 04:40 AM
There are two forms,yellow(very insensitive)and red.Mr Cool's formula will yeild the red form,which isn't quite as hard to detonate.The yellow form could prove useful for an improvised mortar shell filler,as it'd be less-likely to detonate in the tube(from the shock of the launch charge).

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted February 07, 2001 06:45 AM
The launch charge/propellant is designed to give a relatively gentle acceleration. I think PA would be OK without making it into Ex. D.
PA cannot be made into armour piercing shells. They detonate upon impact due to the rapid deceleration. During the very early 20th century, the Japanese in particular tried to stop this from happening by using felt padding, but without success. I think they had a shortage of toluene or something and didn't want to have to use TNT.
The ammonium ion in Ex. D might be able to sensitise NM, but there's only one way to find out...

sadsakjoel
Frequent Poster
posted February 08, 2001 02:49 AM
ok thanks, I'll have to try that out

<small>[ March 04, 2003, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Anthony ]</small>