View Full Version : Cl2 gas.

bubbling_beaker
May 9th, 2003, 06:13 AM
hi all,
i know somthing like this has been mentioned before..or atleast i think it has in this forum
but i need a good way to make Cl2 gas to make some chlorate because electrosis isnt my
kinda thing.. i have lots of HCl and around 500g of calcium hypochlorite the 60% stuff
and i have a couple of kg's of NaOH and KNO3 i dont need to make lots and i dont mind if
there is some methods which are resource consuming id just love to have chlorate can
some one please help me .

zeocrash
May 9th, 2003, 01:46 PM
have you tried bombarding unstable nuclei with neutrons

Rhadon
May 9th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Zeocrash, I'm not sure if that way is appropriate for him. He had to shake a satured table salt solution vigorously for about an hour in order to get it unstable. But if he really wants the chlorine, I guess he can do it. The addition of human hair can be used to speed up the process a bit. Any ideas on how to get the neutrons?

Mr Cool
May 9th, 2003, 04:28 PM
I don't think I've seen that method before, I'll have to check my books to see if I can find a detailed description. It sounds interesting.

Rhadon, neutrons can be bought at chemists and supermarkets as "Super-Strength Decongestant" (the non-drowsy kind). A box of 16 pills will cost about £0.50, and the pills are roughly 50% pure neutrons. Extraction can be difficult though, they add a load of gakk (mainly protons) to the pills to deliberately make it harder to get the good stuff out.[/silliness]

_beaker, five minutes of experimenting with those chemicals that you have listed will show you a way to make chlorine...

Rhadon
May 9th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Mr Cool: Okay, that sounds reasonable. I think I'll try it when I have the time to do so.

nbk2000
May 10th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Fellas, please, let's go easy on the poor guy, huh? ;)

Just mix the HCl with the hypochlorite, and you'll have plenty of chlorine, maybe more than you can handle. :p

Rhadon
May 10th, 2003, 05:06 AM
Sorry, I had to do it :D

bubbling_beaker
May 10th, 2003, 07:40 AM
lol :o .. thankyou; Rhadon, Zeocrash, Mr cool :(
:rolleyes:

Mr Cool
May 10th, 2003, 09:35 AM
"Fellas, please, let's go easy on the poor guy, huh?" ~ NBK

Haha, I've saved a copy of that quote onto my HDD, I fear that it will never be said again! :D

megalomania
May 10th, 2003, 10:20 AM
I think there might be a security breach of nbk's account!

My favorite method of Cl generation is Sani-FLush and bleach; sodium bisulfate and calcium hypochlorite are the active ingredients.

nbk2000
May 10th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Believe me, if it had been any other section, I would have ripped out his spine and used it as a toothpick. :D

But, this is the appropriate place to ask newbie questions, right? So, I answered it. :) I can be merciful when the planets are aligned, can't I? :p

BTW, the name "Water Cooler" brings to mind a bunch of officer workers hanging around talking sheeple talk. :mad:

I think "The Blasting Pit" would be more appropriate, given our hobby. ;) Or may "The Fireworks Stand". :D

I find the pool acid and shock reaction to be much more controllable than the PMJB method of sani-flush and bleach. Plus, it's cheaper, sani-flush being rather overpriced considering what it is.