View Full Version : explosive? what the hell is it? - Archive File

megalomania
May 9th, 2003, 11:54 PM
deathdude
A new voice
posted February 05, 2001 09:20 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i found this stuff is my uncles tool shed it is a black granualed explosive of some type it come in 15 pound wood containers it looks like lesd shot he said he found them is a old shed next to a abandoned mine he alsom found 45 caps-#6,#8 and some mysterie caps and some det-cord and what i think is nitro starch back to the lead shot stuff it only goes off in small ammunts that the valuve on the containers lets out what the hell is it?

deathdude
A new voice
posted February 05, 2001 09:26 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i found out what the mysterie cap is it's a detonater from a 500 pound armor persing bomb the army air force from abuot 1949 or so it contained a selftimer and a 2pound charge of tnt(trinitrotoluen) and a pencil fuse and a #2 cap or what ever

ST
Frequent Poster
posted February 05, 2001 12:27 PM
blasting powder was commonly used and is simply large granules of blackpowder, this is what it most likely is.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted February 05, 2001 06:08 PM
You've got a cool uncle!
Black powder is usually used for heaving things about, for example, a blaster might place a charge of BP under a boulder on a road, and the BP would heave the boulder off the road almost intact.

See if you can find more detonators, the #8 ones to be precise, use them to detonate some ANFO.

[This message has been edited by blackadder (edited February 05, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted February 07, 2001 07:18 AM
Just a thought about the "lead shot" explosive: It could be amonpullver. Normal AN prills are made by squirting super-saturated, boiling AN solution out of nozzles at the top of a large tower, with cool air flowing upwards. The solution forms droplets, which cool and harden as they are falling, and can be collected at the bottom as little spheres. If 20% air float charcoal was added to the AN before this process was carried out, the result would be small balls of amonpullver at the bottom, about 3 or 4 mm in diameter. These would be suitable for blasting.

deathdude
A new voice
posted February 09, 2001 06:09 PM
i'm sure it is not any typ of AN explosive AN goes off easier than this stuff on top of the canisters is a hole to screw in the cap from the bombs and the other way i know it is not AN type explosive is it does not explode at 600 degrecs F* which is AN's det point

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted March 24, 2001 01:16 PM
If you still want to know, it's most likely to be a NaNO3 / charcoal / sulphur mixture, with a heavy graphite glaze to make it more weather-proof.

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted March 24, 2001 03:26 PM
If it *is* a black powder of some sort, it doesn't make too much sense that the containers would have a built in "measuring valve" and a threaded aperture for timer/detonators consisting of 2 pounds of TNT (the so-called "mystery caps").
The integration of what clearly is a military timer/detonator with wooden containers suggests that private industry was making use of surplus ordnance available after the war. In the U.S. much unused explosive material was recycled in this manner or sent back to the powder companies for repackaging. The detonators would likely have been used as-is, since recycling these would not have been cost effective.

The question is, what explosive would require a 2-pound TNT detonator? Could the "lead shot" explosive also be TNT in granular (and graphited) form, or some other material used in bursting charges? Could the "measuring valve" simply be a means of bringing the contents of the canister into intimate contact with the TNT detonator following its installation?

pete
Frequent Poster
posted March 25, 2001 09:53 AM
If you want to find out weather or not the explosives is black powder or a high explosive of the secondary kind, then is all you have to do is take a piece. Break this up carefully, then burn some of it, report the results and we will be more able to help.