View Full Version : Sensitizing agent for AN - Archive File

megalomania
May 10th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Jumala
Frequent Poster
posted February 28, 2001 11:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nitromethane is a well known sensitizer
but does anyone know something about other possibilities.
I was thinking about NG dissolved in acetone
(perhaps with some fuel oil added).
But how much NG would be nessesary to do a good job.
Has anyone a idea?

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted February 28, 2001 11:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well NG by itself would do a good job of detonating AN anyway. If you are crazy enough to make it, just use a strait NG detonater.
------------------
...Æ

shady mutha
Frequent Poster
posted March 01, 2001 12:33 AM
Cook and Talbot found that the highest sensitiveness of ammonium nitrate to initiation by detonation exists when ammonium nitrate contains 0.75-1.5% of paraffin oil.It can be detonated by a No6 detonator.
Brinkly and Gordon have shown that some compositions can be brought to detonation with considerable ease,and the maximum sensitiveness is at ca.2.4% of oil content.
This was confirmed by Van Dolah.The latter also determined the rate of detonation of paper cartridges of prilled ammonium nitrate with 4% fuel oil at a density of 0.95.
in a 1.25 in dia------2980m/sec(No 8 detonator)
in 1.87 in dia ------3750-3760m/sec(No 6 and 8 detonators.
An unconfirmed hypothesis was also formulated that ammonium nitrate in the presence of sulfuric acid undergoes dehydration to the formation of nitramine which is a strong and unstable explosive compound.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted March 01, 2001 02:51 PM
I think sometimes people put some Al powder into a mix of AN to sensitize it a bit. Maybe it is just added to increase heat of explosion though. I'm not sure from what I read.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted March 01, 2001 03:55 PM
Al can react with NH4NO3 and spontaneously burn/detonate.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted March 15, 2001 04:43 AM
Not if the mix is perfectly dry!!!! And if hydrophobic components are used like TNT,NG,... that reduce the hygroscopicity of the NH4NO3 (by enabling it's free contact with moisturised air...)
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted March 15, 2001 04:45 AM
Everything is also a question of reactivity of the Al powder (its mesh size and the thickness of the oxyd layer arround Al metal particles).
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

dave
May 24th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Ok, adding parrafin oil to AN as saind in the post below is said to be sensitive to initiation by detonation, is this in prilled or powder form? Also is the parrafin oil content percentage by weight of volume? I am really interested because I already have lots of parrafin oil at home and really no use for it. Great thanks for any help.

xyz
May 24th, 2003, 09:40 PM
I would guess that the AN would be powdered, powdered ANFO mixes are more sensitive than prilled ones because of the more intimate mixing of the fuel with the AN and because of the lower charge density.

This mixture is just a high sensitivity ANFO mixture (ANFO with 2-3% Fuel is most sensitive, 6% is most powerful). Paraffin oil is just one of the many fuels that can be used for ANFO.

Back on topic a bit, AP, HMTD, MEKP, Mononitronapthalene, and Mononitrotoluene also make good AN sensitizers.

THErAPIST
May 26th, 2003, 01:13 AM
I have mixed AN into some left over NC laquer that i had before. I drilled two 3'4 inch holes into a 6 inch diameter tree at a 90º angle and packed in 20 grams. I put in a 2 gram AP cap and it blew the shit out of the tree so it seemed just as sensative to me as ANAP. I have also heard about using Linseed oil, sulfur, gasoline, soy oil, and.. god I cant remember what the stuff's called. It's that oil thats used in those Tiki Torch things that you see at hawaiian themed parties. I have a bottle of it sitting aorund here somewhere, I'll post what it's called if I can find the bottle. And by parafin oil do you mean that liquid wax that is used in candles? If thats the case I think I have some of that around here somewhere too and I think I might experiment with it a bit.

chicomalo
May 26th, 2003, 02:00 AM
The stuff used in tiki torches is usually citronella oil.

Parrafin oil is also used as fuel for oil lamps, that's what I have lying around for when the power goes out...

xyz
May 26th, 2003, 06:00 AM
The stuff in those torches is not pure citronella oil, it is about 95% liquid hydrocarbons and about 5% citronella oil.

Paraffin oil is just another name for kerosene, paraffin wax (candle wax) is a mixture of wax and kerosene.

grammarless
May 27th, 2003, 07:17 PM
THErAPIST

What was your ratio between AN and NC laquer? I would really like to try that.

THErAPIST
May 28th, 2003, 01:58 AM
To tell the truth I don't know. I scooped a bit of NC laquer into a bowl and then added AN untill there was no longer any clumps of NC. Then I kept adding like that till i didnt have any more NC laquer. I only added just enough AN so that there werent any clumps of NC. After the AN was added I just kinda kept stirring it around. After I could tell that it was mixed well I powdered it to the consistancy of baking flour with my mortar and pestle.

Pics (http://i-was-bored.8m.com/ANNC)

When I said that I put a 2 gram AP cap into the hole I was kinda lying. I made something out of naptholene, Acetone, peroxide, NH4NO3, and HCl. The product was slightly yellow, it took more heat to ignite, It had a hard time drying, the crystals were smaller than that of AP, it was less sensative to shock (from a hammer anyways), it had an overpowering smell of naptholene, and it wouldn't make the D to D transition very well unless I used a gram or more which had to be pressed pretty tightly. I will say that it seemed to have slightly more brisance than AP.

NOTE: I made this back when I was stupid enough to just mix things because I had a hunch that it would work.

If you want my procedure for this primary then say so. Otherwise I'm not gonna waste my time.

NANP (http://i-was-bored.8m.com/NANP) pics just incase you were curious. I'll post pics of the tree when I can get them offa my camera if you're interested.