View Full Version : AFPO.....just another kewlish ex? - Archive File

megalomania
May 10th, 2003, 12:09 AM
the freshmaker
Frequent Poster
posted March 10, 2001 06:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read somewhere that you could make an explosive from AN, ammonium hydroxide and gelantine....? It was a really kewlish page but I just wanted to be sure, because now and then you can actually find some things that work....?
AFPO??

------------------
You can't survive the life!

Morrigan
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 05:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don’t think that it will work because all ammonium nitrate explosives need to be water free, and ammonium hydroxide and gelantine both contain lots of water. Not sure though but I don't give it a big change.
Conclusion: Probably Kewl bullshit.

plan-x
A new voice
posted March 12, 2001 05:27 AM
"I don’t think that it will work because all ammonium nitrate explosives need to be water
free"
Not true. Ammonium nitrate-based water gels contain stacks of water. It probably will work, as just about anything will sensitize AN to some degree, and even if it doesnt sensitize the AN the mixture will still be detonateable, as practically nothing renders AN totally inert. However, i really doubt there is any use trying it, stick to ANNM or similar.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 12:44 PM
True. Many blasting explosives are aqueous gels or slurries with AN being the main explosive.

xyz
May 20th, 2003, 08:55 AM
I think I have seen this AFPO thing somewhere before and it was something that would never work. IIRC I saw it in a collection of useless kewl files that Rat Bastard has on his site.

It said something about a mixture of ammonium hydroxide and gelatin and that it was flame sensitive, I don't remember it saying anything about AN in the mix.