View Full Version : Best way to extract AN from fuel oil? - Archive File

megalomania
May 10th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Teck
Frequent Poster
posted March 22, 2001 05:33 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My question is whats the best way to separate fuel oil (deisel) from amonium nitrate? I can get like a bag of blasting grade anfo and need some advice on how to make AN pure without any traces of fuel oil.

I was thinking soaking it in regular gasoline to desolve the oil, filtering it and washing it again once its filtered.

Im planning on making some ANNM

[This message has been edited by Teck (edited March 22, 2001).]

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted March 22, 2001 11:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're sure the ANFO is premixed?
I think it would be a real pain to extract the AN from ANFO, if not impossible.

------------------
for best catfood visit:
catfood.tsx.org

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted March 22, 2001 12:34 PM
Fuel oil *will* evaporate (slowly) in open air. I guess you could get rid of most of it simply by spreading the material out to dry. I wouldn't think washing would be necessary.
I don't know if any remaining fuel oil residue would adversely affect ANNM performance, but it shouldn't considering ANNM can be made with less-than-pure NM (i.e. NM mixed with other fuels).

Of course after evaporating most of the fuel oil you'd still have to pulverive the AN prills and heat to drive off moisture, so there probably wouldn't be any fuel oil left after this anyway.