View Full Version : Detonating ANFO - Archive File

megalomania
May 10th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 02-13-2001 04:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am planning to try and detonate approximately 320 grams of ANFO contained in a piece of PVC pipe 9 inches long by 2 inches wide.I will then place this in a large rabbit hole and hopefully KABOOM!I was
just wondering if someone could give me some advice on how much AP or HMTD would be needed to detonate the ANFO if I was going to use a 1/2 inch piece of copper pipe as a det.

Also I have neighbours about 600 meters to the right of where I want to sent off the ANFO with no hill or obstruction in the way.How loud would it be and would it be loud enough for someone to raise an alarm.

Demolition

Pyroboy
Frequent Poster
posted 02-13-2001 08:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no way this is going to work dude.
I know the minimum amount of ANNM that can be detonated is around 400/500 grams and i'm sure it is much higher for ANFO. And I think you would be lucky if you got HMTD or Acetone Peroxide to detonate ANFO. I think it is possible, but its not easy. And even 300 grams of any high explosive is going to be bloody loud. Loud enough for people 600 metres away to hear.

Morrigan
Frequent Poster
posted 02-13-2001 09:37 AM
You should try to get "Improvised weapons from ammonium nitrate". It's a real good book that I got of a member’s site. It deals with sensitivity of ANFO to blasting caps. There are in fact mixtures that are sensitive to a #8 cap, but I haven’t had much success detonating it in the past. I would advice a booster. Picric acid or something. I don’t know or there is a minimal required mass but I do know that there’s a minimal charge diameter needed for detonation.
And about loudness: A 1-kilo blast can be heard 7 Km upwind.

Anthony
posted 02-13-2001 12:28 PM
The pipe needs to be a minimum of 6" wide for the detonation to proogate along the pipe. If you burry the charge quite deeply then it will reducet he sound to a thump rather than an enourmous *bang*. Although it might be felt further away if it is buried.

atropine
Frequent Poster
posted 02-13-2001 01:20 PM
Dammit man. No way are you going to be able to detonate anfo like that. But i have had success with doing it in my rifle. But The smallest ammount of anfo i have managed to detonate is 800 grammes. Any smaller and i find that it just does not make alot of difference, and you may as well use a primary any way.

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 02-13-2001 03:30 PM
Like MOrrigan said, "Improvised Munitions from ammonium nitrate" is the book you need.
Click the link in my signature.
------------------
for best catfood visit:
catfood.tsx.org

ST
Frequent Poster
posted 02-16-2001 07:45 AM
The least ammount of ANFO that ive tried to detonate was around 1/2 kilo, this was simply put into a plastic bag and buried.
Worked just fine, although i was using 1/2 stick of bought emulsion to detonate it (thats about 100 grams of HE at a VOD of 3200 mps).
You can detonate ANFO with AP, just gota be stupid enough to use enough of it.

Ive also used a 1.25 bottle coiled inside with Det cord sitting in the open, it detonated with no sign of "unused" explosive, that would have been around 20 grams of PETN at VOD = 7000 m/s.

So you dont need the 6" minimum rule unless your going for a great long tube filled with nothing but ANFO detonated at one end. Try not to use it in tubes, round charges are better if practical.

And ANNM will detonate down to around 50 grams! maybe less.

[This message has been edited by ST (edited February 16, 2001).]

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 02-22-2001 06:45 AM
Thanks for all your help.I will put this one on hold as I have found somehting much more interesting to do.2 of my friends and I are going to try and detonate 20kg of ANFO.We are planning to put the ANFO in an empty 20 litre container and then bury it 1 to 2 meters below the surface,cover the hole back up with dirt,and then get the fuck out of there.We will use a bake-bean can of ANNM to set off the ANFO and a AP det to set off the ANNM with about 6 meters of fuse(this will give us about 6 min).This is going to be fucking massive and a hell of a lot of fun.We will get it on Camera and take pictures before and after the blast.I was just wondering if anyone has attempted a blast this big and if so what damage would we be looking at.Also will 1km be further enough away from it so we dont get knocked of our feet.
We wont attempt this until about April so if this topic is gone I'll start up another one so we can post up the pictures.Also,my friends Dad doesn't care that were doing this,he just wants to be there so when it goes off he can see it,how cools that!I Can't Wait!!!Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Demolition

[This message has been edited by Demolition (edited February 22, 2001).]

Bomberman
posted 02-22-2001 07:43 AM
I have detonated 1,5kg of Anfo with 100g of ANNM and it works very good
sorry my Englisch is terrible

bye

MasterMayhem
Frequent Poster
posted 02-22-2001 07:46 AM
Would it be possible too detonate 1kg of ANFO when i use a empty soup can as a container, and bury it 1/2 metres underground. Should i powder the AN or use prills (i use AN prills from "instant cool packs")
And how mutch AP should use as a detonator, would 100 grams be enough?
I will try to get it on film, and pictures of the device, before and after detonation pictures if possible.

All help is greatly appreciated.

atropine
Frequent Poster
posted 02-22-2001 02:04 PM
Powdered is best. Prilled does not allow for much of a shock wave. And as for the "Theory" that air spaces improve sensitivity, this is bollocks. The air spacese reduce the shock wave, much in she same way sound travels better through solids than air. And also why depth charges work better in water. Powdered AN also allows for caking action which gives a relativly uniform density.

Anthony
posted 02-22-2001 03:53 PM
I thought that the air spaces where compressed by teh shockwave, heating the air white heat and setting off the explosive?

atropine
Frequent Poster
posted 02-22-2001 04:20 PM
ANNM/ANFO relies on a shockwave to set it off. The reason it is used in mining is because of it's relatively cool explosion. And so it may be possible, but is unliky to super heat the air to a great degree. If anything is going to set it off. the increased ANFO surface area from Powdered AN is going to allow a greater ammount of heat from the primary used to detonate it. Not the airspaces from prilled. And also from experience with ANNM, powdered AN is more effective.

Anthony
posted 02-22-2001 06:11 PM
The pressure squezzing the air would be what would heat, not the actual heat from the explosion.
Can't beat practical experience though. Might be hard work powdering several kilos of AN though...

atropine
Frequent Poster
posted 02-23-2001 02:45 AM
yaeh id agree with the powdering bit. But it can be done nicley by leaving it to absorb moisture in a blastic bag, it wil then go mushy. You can dry it out before you use it. It seems to work very nicley like hat. Maybe the AN breaks down partly into ammonia and further sensitises the NM? But he did originaly mention only using a 2" pipe so powdering that much aint gonna be hard.

MasterMayhem
Frequent Poster
posted 02-23-2001 04:41 AM
How long should i dry it and at what temp.
Is it possible too detonate ANFO with using xxxx amounts of AP (150-200g)

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted 02-23-2001 05:09 AM
About the airbubble thing: It is related to a phenomenon called sono-luminisence which happens if a sound-wave is passed through water with tiny bubbles. The sound ( which is a shockwave just like that associated with detonation ) causes the bubbles to implode. This compresses the air, thus raising the temperature like in a diesel-engine. This technique has been suggested for fusion, as the temperature can, in theory, reach 2 million degrees C, for short periods of time.
I don't know what the temperature is with a detonation shockwave, but it is likely a significant effect.

Mick
Frequent Poster
posted 02-24-2001 08:24 AM
what is a prill?
like, whats the difference between your AN been prilled, and it been powered?

hard question to understand - but i'm tired..so bleh =\

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 02-24-2001 10:45 AM
"what is a prill?"
A tiny round ball.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 02-24-2001 02:21 PM
Yep, a little ball about 4mm in diameter. They make it by spraying hot, staurated AN solution from nozzles at the top of a big tower. The droplets cool and crystalise into hard little spheres as they fall, and are collected at the bottom.

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 02-25-2001 01:52 AM
For detonating the can of ANNM which would then detonate the ANFO which do you think would be the safer and the most reliable,AP or HMTD if it is going to be packed in an aluminum tube about 3/4 of an inch wide?
Demolition

sadsakjoel
Frequent Poster
posted 03-04-2001 12:33 AM
use a picric acid/ap det. I could probly get you the TNP by the end of next week, maybe. But I need some gas first. (butane)

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 03-04-2001 01:55 AM
thanks Joel

sadsakjoel
Frequent Poster
posted 03-05-2001 04:39 AM
No worries, but It's dissolved in water I will buy some gas to evaporate it soon.

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 04-07-2001 04:01 PM
What about regular blasting caps? As you say "before all these laws came into effect"...
------------------
for best catfood visit:
catfood.tsx.org

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 04-07-2001 04:36 PM
Don't (or rather didn't) they use a stick of dynamite to set it off? thats what I hear.
------------------
Handguns don't kill people... Half as well as full-auto
Visit me at www.surf.to/eliteforum

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted 04-07-2001 04:42 PM
If a profesionnal blaster uses ANFO he will use normal N8 cap reinforced with booster 10-60 grams TNT equivalent...
------------------
HAPPY BURNDAY, SWEETHARD!

Anthony
posted 04-07-2001 06:26 PM
Blaster's Training Manual says the ANFO is insensitive to any commercial blasting cap. They use a stick of high percentage straight dynamite, or a stick of NG/NC dynmaite for best effects.

shooter2
Frequent Poster
posted 04-07-2001 09:25 PM
I don't have it but i once looked at the Govnt publication on anfo. It is detonated in a plastic bag, as long as it is in a bore hole or stemed tight under a stump,and is powdered well and very dry

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 04-09-2001 10:49 AM
When a high explosive is buried the shockwave is almost scary, a light rippling under your shoes followed by a very low pitched "Booooooooom", it would be creepy if you didnt know what was going on, the cops would be called if someone heard it.
I once read about taping a few peices of detcord to a commercial detonator for detonating ANFO, I think it was in NBK2000's PDF.

If you've got access to dynamite, screw the anfo!

Anthony
posted 04-09-2001 02:44 PM
But 50 sticks of dynamite cost a lot more than 1 stick and 50kg of ANFO.

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 07:18 PM
Anthony is correct,Just imagine the cost of buying 1 tonne of Dynamite compared to buying 1 tonne of Ammonium Nitrate.I can get 50kg bags for $27 dollars Australian.Times that by 20 and the cost for 1 tonne of Ammonium Nitrate is $540 dollars.Does anyone know the cost of dynamite?Be interesting to compare the 2 prices.
Demolition
(also,does anyone know why my number of posts say 2??Just alone in this topic I have posted 4-5 times??)

[This message has been edited by Demolition (edited April 11, 2001).]

Teck
Frequent Poster
posted 04-12-2001 02:43 AM
50lb box of stick powder (NG based) runs around $125 a box, compared to $25 a bag of premixed ANFO.
So most mines are using, ANFO, watergels, and sluries beacuse of their cheap qualities and 15,000(ftps) being ANFO's det volocity is enough to brake rock.

-----------
---------------------
"whats that shit you smoking and where can I get some?"

Anthony
posted 04-12-2001 02:23 PM
$125 for a 50lb case!? That's really gone up! Used to be $10 a case (that's probably about 40 years ago though).
There's what about 2000lb in a (metric) tonne? 2000lb / 50 = 40 cases x $125 = $5000!

Although apparently, when mining hard rock it costs more to drill the shot holed into the rock than it does to fill them with dynamite. So it's all relative.

"has the whole world gone mad???" "nah, just your screwy country"

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted 04-18-2001 01:39 PM
Yes, the explosive from a granade is absolutely enough to set off ANFO, actuallt if you use 'defansive(scrapnel)' granade, it may not work because the walls of the container are too wide and the detonation of ANFO needs full contact between the booster and the ANFO.