View Full Version : yeild of rdx synthesis - Archive File

megalomania
May 10th, 2003, 09:24 PM
pyromaniac_guy
posted 02-23-2001 04:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
has anyone produced rdx in modest quanitys using the paraformaldehyde, ammonium nitrate, acetic anhydride route? What sort of yield should I expect?
Thanks!

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 02-24-2001 09:33 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DO A FUCKING SEARCH!!!!
There are SO MANY topics on this already.
(although I do agree that it's hard to get a straight answer, because everyone seems to have a slightly different method)

[This message has been edited by Mr Cool (edited February 24, 2001).]

pyromaniac_guy
posted 02-24-2001 03:33 PM
dude
i did a fucking search
the only thing I found a yeild for is a commercial scale production of the stuff
not only am i not makeing the shit on a commerical scale
I'm not useing boron tri floride in the reaction as the commercial route does either.
I am specifically looking for a yeild for the second method listed in mega's site. I dont give two shits about the yeild of a synthesis of something that is CLOSE, for all I know that yeild might be off by an order of magnitude. I spent half an hour searching. It takes 15 seconds for someone who has the information I desire to answer, if ya dont have such information, fuck off, i dont care what you have to say! but if you do know, please share, as I would be much apreciative!
thank you, drive through please

[This message has been edited by pyromaniac_guy (edited February 24, 2001).]

pyromaniac_guy
posted 02-27-2001 01:16 AM
thanks very much for the info..
btw, do you have any particular data for the yeild without BF3???

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 02-27-2001 02:08 PM
As I understand it, BF3 plays no role in the reaction other than as a catalyst. Therefore, the yield should be identical, but it might be harder to initiate the reaction and it will take longer to react if you do not have it.
(Sorry if I seemed a bit anti-social the first time. I didn't mean to be.)

pyromaniac_guy
posted 03-04-2001 05:36 PM
thanks for the info, and no worries
I'm new here and should have specifically said that what I found in the archives wasnt exactly what I was looking for.

Kroways
posted 04-17-2001 05:04 PM
Mr Cool> BF3 is actually quite important in this reaction. If you don't use it, the reaction will be very difficult to start and high(and very dangerous) temperature will be needed. My friend tried it and didn't succeed. He said the reaction mixture was first calm, but when he added a hot-water bath it began to produce NxOy gases. Urbański(Chemistry and technology of explosives) also wrote that this reaction is dangerous without boron trifluoride AND the yield is low. I would recommend simple nitrolysis or "K" process. Please apologize my English.

jfk
May 13th, 2003, 07:30 PM
is it just me, or is there no information on yields, whatsoever here?

Pyromaniac_guy: thanks very much for the info..

what info ? is there something im missing?

a_bab
May 14th, 2003, 03:24 AM
That was ironically.

But it's so obviously that you figured it out...(i.e.)

jfk
May 15th, 2003, 10:40 PM
sorry, i dont quite understand what your saying.

but i was under the impression that archive files were to provide answers to newbie questions, so they didnt have to ask and ask again

bLaDeaZine
May 28th, 2003, 02:12 AM
How to sensitivizing my RDX?
Will it detonated with using kerosene or gasoline?

Arthis
May 28th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Why sensitive it ? It's not too stable ! Man you're talking about RDX. It will detonate alone. Maybe fuel may do the job, but there's really no need for it.

hinz
September 27th, 2004, 09:11 PM
A little question about the BF3, can't you use an other catalyst for this reaction? I will make some RDX (hexogen) , but I can't get any concentrated nitric acid. If the acetic anhydride,NH4NO3 method works, I will try to make it on this way.

(We are waiting for results ;) - kingspaz)