View Full Version : a bag of fertizer - Archive File

megalomania
May 10th, 2003, 09:34 PM
KAD
posted 12-03-2000 07:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if someone was gonna buy a bag an (fertizer)
what would the mixture be on the bag, to make anfo with it.
like 14-2-3
/\
/ \
example

Jumala
Frequent Poster
posted 12-03-2000 08:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I´am not 100% sure, but 14-2-3 means parts of N-P-K, Nitrogen (a nitrate) Phosphorus (a phosphate) and K = Kalium.
The best is x-0-0 but I don´t know if the N are parts of Ammoniumnitrate or Kaliumnitrate (potassiumnitrate)

10fingers
Frequent Poster
posted 12-03-2000 08:36 PM
The numbers would be 34-0-0.

Arthis
Frequent Poster
posted 12-06-2000 07:14 AM
N is for nitrogen, P for Phosphorus and K for Potassium. So if you have x-0-0 the nitrate (the most frequent ones are potassium - salpeter - and ammonium) mustn't be potassium nitrate otherwise you'll have x-0-x. The nitrogen is always given by ammonium nitrate. But sometimes they mix with a few ammonium sulfate (NH4SO4) for the product not to be used as an explosive... Ask

nbk2000
posted 12-06-2000 08:12 PM
Ammonium sulphate will desensitize AN a bit, but if you can shock it strong enough the mix will detonate and actually have MORE power than plain AN. This was found out by the chemists the government had experimenting with ways of making AN non-explosive.

They found out that almost anything they could add to AN that wouldn't interefere with it's use as fertilizer would either have no effect or actually make it more powerful, so they gave up.

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

KAD
posted 12-07-2000 08:15 PM
anks for your help
i knew what the numbers mean but i just didnt know what would be the best number of the stuff i would need to make an explosive
but 34-0-0 and above will work

rjche
Frequent Poster
posted 12-09-2000 07:49 PM
KAD...
you said 34-0-0 and above would be ok.
Maybe you don't understand yet.

you want 34 in the first number. It never gets any higher for ammonium nitrate.

You want zeros in the other two numbers. Any number there means there is something else mixed with the ammonium nitrate which will make it junk.

What you want is exactly what the fellow posted. the bag must read 34-0-0,and not something higher.

SafetyLast
Frequent Poster
posted 12-16-2000 01:21 PM
And you can just take it out of the bag and mix it with diesel or kerosene to make ANFO?
[This message has been edited by SafetyLast (edited December 16, 2000).]

10fingers
Frequent Poster
posted 12-16-2000 01:48 PM
No. Fertilizer grade ammonium nitrate has a coating on the prills to keep water out. This will also prevent it from absorbing the fuel oil. I've heard you can put it into a blender to powder it and then put it in the oven at low temp to make sure it's dry. Some people say that it is better to purify the ammonium nitrate, which supposedly increases the sensitivity to initiation and the velocity of detonation. Then add kerosene or diesel fuel (6% by weight). Store until use in an absolutely airtight container.

PYRO500
posted 12-16-2000 03:19 PM
I just went outside and behind a shed in my yard I have like 3 bags of what they say proffessinal fertilizer with no x-x-x marks on it. I will open a bag, they look pretty weathered and have small holes in them,
[This message has been edited by PYRO500 (edited December 16, 2000).]

PYRO500
posted 12-16-2000 03:43 PM
scratch that, i just opened a bag and it says proffesional fertilizer it is a bunch of brown granuoles andwhen mixed with water the granuals sink to the bottom and a muddy layer of brown silt forms on top, any ideas to what tis is?

Jhonbus
Frequent Poster
posted 12-16-2000 09:08 PM
Sterilised manure granules?
------------------
A physicist can make a bigger explosion than a chemist ever did
http://www.geocities.com/jhon_bus/

PYRO500
posted 12-16-2000 09:36 PM
not sure but I do get a wierd smell and this white powder when I heat the powder

nbk2000
posted 12-17-2000 10:34 AM
Sounds like the AN I had. Soak it in some newspaper and see if it makes a decent smokebomb.
------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

green beret
Frequent Poster
posted 12-24-2000 07:53 PM
While we are talking about fertiliser, I recently got hold of a 10kg bag of urea that is 46% nitrogen. Now, I know that you can make urea nitrate, but is plain old urea detonateable? If so what size booster charge is reccomended. Please note that this urea also contains 1.5% Biuret.

Zero
Frequent Poster
posted 12-24-2000 08:52 PM
Uhhh... What the hell is "fertizer"?

------------------
~Zero the Inestimable
The A Files
{Link is a direct download.}

Morrigan
Frequent Poster
posted 02-01-2001 07:47 AM
If your bag contains nitrogen and it’s contends look like brown granuoles that make a lot of mud when you add em to some water than I guess you might have a Ammonium nitrate chalk mixture (Kalkamonsalpeter in Dutch). That damn stuff is the only legal ammonium nitrate fertilizer allowed in the Netherlands, the big idea behind it is that by adding a lot of chalk the stuff won’t detonate, which is true but you could just put a lot of fertilizer in some water (Until the water looks slightly like gel,filter it of (time taking) and re-crystallize the AN by putting it in a freezer. Make sure you dry it afterwards. If you add some fertilizer to water it should get real cold. If not it’s something else.
[This message has been edited by Morrigan (edited February 01, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 02-03-2001 12:26 PM
Morrigan is right. It's probably a NH4NO3/CaCO3 mixture.

deathdude
posted 02-05-2001 08:53 AM
i know this should be with low explosives
but does any one know what type of fertilizer pottasium nitrate is
----------------------------------
knowledge is only useful to those who have the will to use it

Morrigan
Frequent Poster
posted 02-05-2001 09:57 AM
Depends on where you are from. Generally it is referred to as Saltpeter. Kalisalpeter is also common in lots of countries in Europe. ChiliSalpeter is NaNO3

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 02-05-2001 03:15 PM
KNO3 = 13-0-38
------------------
Explosives Archive

Tim2133
posted 04-08-2001 11:27 PM
KNO3 or Potassium Nitrate really isn't used as a fertilizer as far as I know. You can find it in a lot of home and garden centers under the name of stump remover. It supposedly accelerates stump decomposition. I wouldn't know though, I never bought it for that.

Anthony
posted 04-09-2001 02:49 PM
I get mine as a fertilizer.

Arthis
June 2nd, 2003, 08:16 AM
About the KNO3 you can buy from garden store: mine seemed to have some sodium inside (see the thread about coloring flames), and while mixing some with H2SO4 to make nitroglycerine, it released chlorine gas (the smell can't trick you). (and I didn't make the nitro with that, prefer distilling it, god !). The taste was acidic, I think it's due to the KNO3 itself, and a small taste of salt, too. This would confirm a first idea of KNO3 being mixed with a little salt (NaCl), though I'm wondering why putting salt in fertilizer ?

About the calculating of the N-P-K indication:
pure NH4NO3 for example,
molar mass: 2*14+4+3*16=80
mass of the nitrogen in a mole: 28
so for 1 kg ammonium nitrate, there's in weight 28/80=35% nitrogen.

KNO3
M=101
M(K)=39 -> 38.6 %
M(N)=14 -> 14/101= 13,8%
You should get then 13.8-0-38.6 for pure KNO3