View Full Version : grenade compound - Archive File

megalomania
May 10th, 2003, 09:46 PM
FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 03-26-2001 07:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know exactly where to post this but i think it goes here. It comes w/ a bit of a story but there IS a purpose to it.
My uncle buys houses down on the cheaper/crappy area of town. One of them he bought was from this guy who used to be in the military (WWII im pretty sure). The relatives had came and taken most everything cool, but left everything, even family pictures and stuff. I did lots of searching (Man was this guy cool. Liquor bottles all along the top wall of his garage, street signs with weird names, licensed junk collector, he even built an alarm for his garage hehe) I found some stuff of interest. A few old bullets, and an empty grenade. The bullets were all good, and they were old. There were several pistol rounds. I now wish I had taken them, but I did manage to get some rifle round (im guessing its a 308, but i'd have to check...)
Anyway i was walking through the garage and i saw the grenade and i was like WOAH! I went and picked it up. It was empty, but there was an orange ring painted around the end of it, and the detonator was crimped shut. I found this container of a yellowish powder I assume was from the grenade. It even had the formula on it but it dont remember it. It and Lead (Pb) and maybe Chromium (Cr) and he even drew a little skull and crossbones on it. Im not for sure but i think it was from the grenade. Any ideas on what it was? (Im positive it had lead in it, and it was a yellowish powder (I also wish I had taken that too hehe.))

So. Any ideas?

SMAG 12B/E5
Frequent Poster
posted 03-26-2001 11:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fadetoblaken,
The yellow band around the neck of the grenade designates a live or war round, as a blue painted warhead denotes a practice round. One of the most common grenades "pineapple style" of WWII was filled with flake TNT which is pale yellow and granular. I doubt if the yellow powder is other than what the label states, but never assume anything that you are unsure of.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 03-27-2001 12:46 PM
A toxic, yellow compound with Cr and Pb? That'll be lead dichromate, not for the grenade.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 03-27-2001 03:04 PM
I believe that an explosive used in grenades is Lead pentolite. I may be wrong though.

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 03-27-2001 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info. But what use would an old guy have for lead dichromate? What is it used for?

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 03-28-2001 04:04 PM
As far as I know, it's used for absolutely nothing of importance.
Lead pentolite? Pentolite is itself an explosive, but maybe it's like lead picrate or lead styphnate (a lead salt of an explosive acid. I don't know if pentolite is acidic, though).

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 03-28-2001 05:34 PM
Pentolite is a PETN/TNT mixture & used as a booster.
------------------
for best catfood visit:
catfood.tsx.org

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 03-29-2001 01:16 PM
Yup, I knew I was talking shit

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 03-29-2001 01:41 PM
Pentolite is also the name for a single explosive compound. See "kitchen improvised plastic explosives II" I think for more details. But yes, it is the common name for a PETN/TNT mixture.

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 03-29-2001 03:39 PM
In KIPE II there's a explosive called Pentryl but i can't find Pentolite...
------------------
for best catfood visit:
catfood.tsx.org

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 04-06-2001 05:45 AM
Lead Chromate is yellow unsoluble precipitate used in yellow paint for street signalisation.
Lead bichromate is also unsoluble but orange red....
Maybe it is the composition of the paint on the grenade.
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 04-19-2001 05:57 PM
Oh, maybe I was thinking of pentryl or something else. Sorry!