View Full Version : Nitromethane - Archive File

megalomania
May 10th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Nitro
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 01:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can Nitromethane directly synthesis out nitric acid and methane?Sodium hydroxide and sodium acetate will form Methan and if you buble it throught nitric acid should it form NM or?

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 05:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at megalomania's synthesis section. It is excellent. The addy is surf.to/megalomania (or nettrash.com/users/megalomania). NM is prepared from chloroacetic acid and sodium nitrite (and maybe a few other things i cant remember...)

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 05:30 PM
Oh and by the way, how does that acetate + hydroxide thing take place? Is it
CH3COONa + NaOH --> CH4 + CO2 + Na2O
or something? If so wouldnt the CO2 mix with the methane?

Alchemist
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 10:25 PM
Hello gang,
Note the Sodium Acetate MUST be completely ANHYDROUS (without water) for the pyrolysis to work! Also heat should be applied cautiously at first, then more strongly to maintain a good steady evolution of Methane!

reaction is;
heat
CH3COONa + NaOH --> CH4 + Na2CO3

------------------

Nitro
Frequent Poster
posted 04-05-2001 12:27 PM
Correct Alchi.The method on megalomanias site is to complicated(to much work for me).
And my chemical book has only an very short inscription of an directly nitration of an Alkane(Propane).Two methodes:
R-H+ HO-NO2 --->RNO2+H2O ( R = Alkane)
lab methode
R-I(or R-Br)+NaNO2 --> R-NO2+ NaI(or Na Br
Jod or Bromalkane