View Full Version : Ammonium Nitrate - Archive File

megalomania
May 10th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Mick
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 11:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i bought some ammonium nitrate fertilizer today
and i was wondering how i can tell if it has a coating on the prills..(the coating stops it from asorbing water(or fuel)

i opened the bag, and it has little white nuggets - they look like "nerds"(those little candy things)

the place i bought this Ammonium Nitrate sells there own brand of AN -and it doesn't doesn't say wether it has a coating or not..so yer, anyways...

what color should pure AN be?(ie. Nitroprill)

if it does have the coating on it, how do i remove it - or do i have to remove it?

sorry bout the bad spelling today, but i have a couple of broken fingers and its hard enough to type with out having to go back and forth and fixxing every second word

[This message has been edited by Mick (edited April 11, 2001).]

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 04-11-2001 12:13 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I gaurentee it has coating on it. To remove it Wash it in alcohol untill the alcohol ios a brown, muddy colour.
------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 12:27 AM
The easiest way would be to test a prill by touching it briefly to a drop of fuel oil (or water dyed with food coloring). Uncoated AN is extremely absorptive while coated is not, so when the prill is cleaved in half with a razor blade you'll know by the color penetration if it's coated or not. All AN (whether coated or not) is white.
Whether the coating matters depends on what you're using it for (naturally it won't matter if you're crushing it). Most of the formulations that have been used to "desensitize" AN have resulted in a less-sensitive but more powerful product.

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 12:52 AM
Crushing it will remove the coating enogh to use, and you probably want to crush it any way. (i know pure alchohol is hard to get)