View Full Version : cheap glassware

Bryan
May 11th, 2003, 08:20 AM
I went to a school fete yesterday and I managed to find a "university chemistry set" which had $250+ of lab glassware in it. eg beakers, pipettes, test tubes, volmeteric flasks, conical flasks, medice droppers, cruicibles, evaporation dishes and much more. it cost me $8 (Australian) all up, and it's all pyrex or shott heat treated glass! I just thought it should go here because it's about accuring apparitus.

Bryan

Arthis
May 11th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Actually, it's about glassware...

Don't you think you should not start topics with that number of posts, furthermore a topic that isn't interesting ?

I'm wondering if the system of admission should not be changed a little, so that everyone is obliged to read the rules before subscribing... Gonna think about a new system for new members to be obliged to read the rule and not click trough without reading them.

Maybe he's not even aware of the fact newbies shall not start new topics ...

Ezekiel Kane
May 13th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Here's an idea. What if before becoming a member, you have to pass a quiz about the rules? That way, new members must have in effect typed out the rules and should be quite knowledgeable of them.

Anthony
May 17th, 2003, 09:31 AM
What about a system where newbies with good intentions weren't automatically lynched?

He's asked nothing, only given his experience of getting a good deal of glassware for practically nothing. That's interesting IMO and might be a useful source for some members.

KidCurry
May 18th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Gah. Wish I was that lucky!
I'm currently saving money to buy a small complete glassware kit, but those things are expensive! I will have to put out about 300USD for one. Wish I could find a used one. I know there's american stores selling used laboratory equipment, but for me who lives in europe that's kind of out of the question. Does anybody know for a similar service (except for Ebay/etc) within the EU?

SATANIC
May 24th, 2003, 06:18 AM
I am currently lucky enough to be studying chemistry at university, and although I am failing, (just got kicked out of home and stuff beyond my control - I know chem a lot better than many of my fellow students) The selection of glassware and other equipment is excellent. (wish i got get away with a four sig. fig. top pan balance......)

Is there anywhere online that displays Australian prices for schott (sp?) glassware ? I have searched, but cannot find.

We have to pay for anything that is missing from our lockers at the end of the semester, and I was thinking of taking some stuff with me and saying I lost it. (people steal from each others lockers all the time.) Beakers in 100, 250, and 400ml, graduated cylinders, flasks, test tubes and stand, pipette and burette, (need a stand and one of those sucker things) eyedroppers, watch glasses, petri dishes, glass stirring rods, all sorts of stuff, and all analytical grade. I just hope it's worth the price, as you pay the replacement cost,. The most you pay for any one item is $15, and that's only for pipette and burette.

so... is $5 - $10 each a good price for analytical grade glassware ? If so I'll take whatever I can't already find out on the benches etc. hopefully I can find enough out on the benches and in unlocked lockers, and won't have to pay anything at all. :D

Bonus is, I just noticed a bunch of old containers in tubs under the bench with all the scales on it, there are all sorts of chems there, I can't wait to look through them and grab what I can.